Hospital evacuated over bottle of "weed killer"

A hospital was forced to evacuate its Accident and Emergency department over a bottle of weed killer.

Live updates

Bottle of weed killer forces hospital A+E evacuation

University Hospital of North Staffordshire Credit: ITV News Central

A hospital was forced to evacuate a busy Accident and Emergency department over a bottle of weed killer.

Fire crews were called to the University Hospital of North Staffordshire in Stoke-on-Trent just before 7 o'clock on Friday night, after a child suffering from an eye irritation was brought in.

Staff alerted the fire service as a precaution to help identify the substance affecting the child, to help ensure no hazardous material was brought into the hospital. Fire crews who evacuated the Accident and Emergency department, later identified the source of the irritation as a domestic weed killer.

Simon Craythorne, the station manager with Staffordshire Fire and Rescue service, said the child's parent had brought the bottle of weed killer into the hospital. The parent and child were "decontaminated" and the weed killer was removed from on-site.

A hospital spokesman confirmed it was standard procedure to evacuate an area when an incident arose involving a questionable substance.

Back to top