Live updates

  1. National

Family told SAS march went ahead 'to save paperwork'

An Army officer told a grieving family it would have been "too much paperwork" to cancel a special forces test march which led to three deaths, a coroner has heard.

The unnamed commanding officer allegedly made the remark to relatives of Lance Corporal Craig Roberts.

ITV News Correspondent Rupert Evelyn is at the inquest in Birmingham.

  1. National

Families tell inquest of dead soldiers' SAS hopes

An inquest into the deaths of three soldiers during a gruelling SAS test in 2013 has heard from their families, as they talk about the men's hopes of joining 'the best of the best.'

Advertisement

  1. National

SAS training death witnesses to give evidence behind a screen

An inquest into the deaths of three Army reservists who collapsed during an SAS training exercise in 2013 will ensure the "full facts are brought to light", the coroner said.

ITV News Corespondent Rupert Evelyn is at the inquests:

  1. National

Inquest into soldiers' SAS training deaths to start

An inquest into the deaths of three Army reservists who collapsed during an SAS training exercise in 2013 is due to begin today.

Lance Corporal Edward Maher, Lance Corporal Craig Roberts and Corporal James Dunsby died after taking part in the military exercise on Pen Y Fan in the Brecon Beacons, in Wales.

Lance Corporal Edward Maher, Corporal James Dunsby and Lance Corporal Craig Roberts. Credit: MoD/ Joe Giddens/PA Wire

L/Cpl Roberts, 24 and from Penrhyn Bay, Conwy, was pronounced dead on the mountainside, while L/Cpl Maher and Cpl Dunsby, both 31, were taken to hospital.

L/Cpl Maher died three hours later in Merthyr Tydfil's Prince Charles Hospital while Cpl Dunsby, from Bath, Somerset, was transferred to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Birmingham, where he died on July 30.

The hearing was delayed to allow the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) to review its decision not to bring criminal charges of gross negligence manslaughter over the deaths.

A number of other soldiers taking part in the exercise on July 13, when temperatures hit 29C (84F), also collapsed and needed medical attention.

Advertisement

Four men arrested and knives seized from stolen car

Four men have been arrested and knives were seized by the police. Credit: ITV News Central

Police have arrested four men and seized knives, which were thrown from a stolen car this afternoon in Birmingham.

Officers spotted a red Citroen Picasso which had been reported stolen, heading out of city on the A38 shortly before 2.45pm.

They followed the car as it drove away and as knives and balaclavas were thrown onto the road from the inside.

Before officers could stop the car, the driver lost control and crashed on Claremont Road in Hockley.

Four men, all believed to be in their 20's, were arrested on suspicion of theft of a motor vehicle and the car, weapons and other items were seized for forensic examination.

An investigation is now underway to understand why the men were in the car and what their intentions were.

I’d urge anyone with information which may aid our inquiries to contact us.

– Inspector Bob French

Dragonboat racing underway in Birmingham to raise money for leukaemia charity

Credit: ITV News Central

Racing will take place this afternoon in 40ft long Chinese dragonboats at the Brindleyplace waterside restaurant and leisure area.

It's the 20th anniversary of Brindleyplace so teams are taking part in fancy dress representing their chosen year between 1996 and 2015. Team names include 'Usain Boat', 'Millennium Marauders', 'Hong Kong Foodie' and 'Hogwart's Express'.

Brindleyplace is hoping to raise £100,000 for Birmingham-based blood cancer charity, Cure Leukaemia.

Over the past 16 years, the Dragonboat Festival has raised over £350,000 for local charities in Birmingham.

Load more updates