One of three men from Birmingham charged with planning a suicide bombing attack has told a jury he pretended to be a terrorist as a defenceRead the full story ›
Jury in "bomb plotter" trial heard how the men discussed how to make explosives, and how many people they could kill.Read the full story ›
The prosecutor in the trial of three Birmingham men accused of planning a suicide bomb plot told a jury today their plans could have culminated in death and injury on a "massive scale".
Irfan Naseer, Irfan Khalid, and Ashik Ali deny between them a total of 12 terrorism charges.
Brian Altman QC told the jury today
"The evidence does not reveal any settled or certain timescale for the terrorist attack these men were planning, nor does it betray an iconic target or geographic location, but the defendants’ words and actions demonstrate a settled intention at some point not too far off to execute their attack plan in this country, and with it ensure their own martyrdom. The fact that the defendants were now beginning to experiment with explosive mixes in some secrecy proves it.
"But for the timely disruption of the plot by the authorities, to whom it was quite clear that the defendants were attempting to develop a home-made explosive device, unheeded and permitted to run its course, this plot would have culminated in death and injury on a massive scale."
The trial continues.
The latest on the trial of three men from Birmingham who are on trial accused of plotting a suicide bombing campaign in the UK.Read the full story ›
A jury's been told how three men had detailed conversations about how to make bombs, and how much explosive could fit into a rucksack.Read the full story ›
Court hears: 1 of the 3 men from Birmingham accused of planning a terror attack said they were "suicide bombers ready to take on England."Read the full story ›
A court has heard how one of the three men from Birmingham accused of planning terror attacks bigger than the July 7 bombings said they were "suicide bombers ready to take on England."
Irfan Naseer, Irfan Khalid and Ashik Ali were covertly recorded by police last year pretending to be Formula One commentators covering a race.
It was in the middle of their conversation that Mr. Khalid allegedly made the statement. The three men deny all the charges against them. The trial continues.
Police have released surveillance images which allegedly show three men posing as charity collectors in Birmingham, to raise funds for a suicide bombing campaign.
A jury has been told the three men planned to detonate 8 rucksack style bombs in the UK in an attack potentially bigger than the 7/7 bombings in London.
Police have released a surveillance image which allegedly shows three men from Birmingham posing as charity collectors, to raise funds for a bomb plot in the UK.
Irfan Naseer, 31, and Irfan Khalid and Ashik Ali, who are both 27, deny a total of 12 terrorism charges and are on trial at Woolwich Crown Court.
Continuing his opening of the case against the men today, prosecutor Brian Altman QC said anti terrorist police had launched a surveillance operation after two of the men returned from a visit to Pakistan last July.
He told the jury that surveillance images show the three defendants with buckets labelled as Muslim Aid, carrying out street collections in and around Birmingham's Stratford Road.
The prosecution claim more than £13,000 was raised, with just £1,500 being handed over to the charity, which had no knowledge of the alleged fraudulent collections. It claims the rest of the money raised was stolen for terrorist purposes.
The trial continues.
Trial day two: Three men from Birmingham accused of plotting a suicide bomb plot in the UK, on a potentially greater scale than 7/7.Read the full story ›