Live updates

Advertisement

Carl Froch will be '100% prepared for George Groves'

Super-middleweight boxer Carl Froch has said that he will be "100% prepared for George Groves" in their upcoming WBA and IBF World Super-Middleweight title clash.

The boxers are at a news conference today to launch their fight which has been dubbed the 'Battle of Britain'. They go head-to-head in Manchester on 23 November.

Froch and Groves at the press conference today Credit: ITV News Central

Carl Froch could lose title if he does not fight Groves

Groves has been made our mandatory challenger for Froch.

We have sent letters to both fighters, dated June 10, and asked them to start negotiations for a mandatory defence.

The boxers will have until July 12 to come to an agreement. If they can’t, we will then call for a purse bid.

The successful bidder would be notified by July 24 and we would expect the fight to take place 90 days later, which would take us to the middle of October.

– IBF championship chairman Lindsey Tucker speaking to The Sun

Carl Froch ordered to fight George Groves

Froch gained revenge over Mikkel Kessler with a points win in May
Froch gained revenge over Mikkel Kessler with a points win in May Credit: Nick Potts/PA Wire

Nottingham's world super-middleweight champion Carl Froch has been ordered to defend his IBF title against George Groves or risk losing it according to reports.

According to The Sun, Froch must take on Groves before the end of October.

Froch, 35, added Mikkel Kessler’s WBA belt to his IBF title with a points win at London’s O2 Arena.

During the build-up, Froch expressed his anger at fellow-Englishman Groves training with Kessler ahead of the fight.

Advertisement

Civic reception for boxing champion Carl Froch

A civic reception is to be held this evening in honour of Nottingham boxer Carl Froch, who was crowned super-middleweight world champion last month.

Carl Froch was crowned super-middleweight world champion last month. Credit: PA

Fans can gather in the Old Market Square to get a chance to see the 35-year-old champion 'The Cobra', who is expected to arrive from around 6.25pm.

He will appear on the Council House balcony with his boxing belts to address the crowd at around 7.15pm.

At around 7.45pm it is hoped he will meet some of his fans and sign autographs.

Could Froch v Kessler III take place this winter?

Boxing promoter Eddie Hearn says he wants Carl Froch to face Mikkel Kessler or Andre Ward in the winter before an all-British summer clash with George Groves.

Froch exacted revenge on Kessler at the O2 Arena on May 25, adding the WBA belt to his IBF strap in a thrilling contest.

 Froch and Hearn following The Cobra’s win over Mikkel Kessler at the O2 Arena on May 25
Froch and Hearn following The Cobra’s win over Mikkel Kessler at the O2 Arena on May 25 Credit: Lawrence Lustig

Now Hearn’s attentions are on The Cobra’s next moves and the promoter has two massive dates in mind.

Eddie Hearn said: "Commercially, Froch v Kessler III is just a huge fight. The first two were stunning nights and everyone knows what they would get from the decider."

He added: “Each one has been brutal so we will give Mikkel and his body time to see if he wants to go again."

Froch v Kessler
Froch v Kessler Credit: PA

As well as targeting a huge winter night for Froch, Hearn is planning a summer extravaganza for the Nottingham star – and says an all-British unification bout with ‘Saint’ George Groves would be something special.

Former boxer is bringing boxing back to Midlands

A former pro boxer says he's bringing the sport back to part of the Midlands - after turning a derelict pub into a boxing club.

Twelve months in and Steve Brumont says the club has made a big difference to his community.

Volunteers helped turn the pub which had stood empty for at least seven years into a modern gym. Lee Comley went along to meet them.

Load more updates

Advertisement

Today's top stories