Live updates

Man sentenced for posting explicit pictures online

A man who posted explicit pictures of a woman without consent has been given a suspended jail sentence.

21-year-old Christopher Noble, of Wellington Street, Eastgate, Peterborough had previously pleaded guilty to disclosing private sexual photographs and films with intent to cause distress and was sentenced at Peterborough Magistrates Court on January 7.

The court heard how Noble stored the pictures sent to him by the woman in the summer and later posted them online via video messaging application Snapchat.

While this case is one of the first in Cambridgeshire and one of only a dozen or so in the country to reach the courts, we hope it serves as a message to people that sharing intimate materials is very distressing and we will seek to protect victims by taking these crimes very seriously.

– PC John Bimson

Noble was given six weeks imprisonment suspended for 24 months.

He was also required to carry out 80 hours of unpaid work within the next 12 months.

Officers searching for missing Gary Sanders have found a body

Police officers searching for missing Gary Sanders have discovered a body.

Officers made the discovery in a secluded location, close to Sayers Street, in Huntingdon yesterday afternoon.

Formal identification is yet to take place, however the body is believed to be that of 43-year-old Gary Sanders, who was reported missing to police on Christmas Eve.

The death is currently being treated as unexplained.

Advertisement

  1. Anglia

Anniversary appeal for witnesses to teenager's death

Mohammed Sanghar Credit: Cambridgeshire Police

Police in Peterborough are to revisit the scene of a murder today in a bid to seek new witnesses to the crime.

Police will be putting up posters and handing out leaflets in Russell Street, where 18-year-old Mohammed Sanghar, known as Haroon, suffered serious injuries after being involved in an incident with a black Vauxhall Astra last Thursday.

Two men from Bedford have been charged with his murder.

Controlled explosion in Peterborough completed

A controlled explosion at an engine factory in Peterborough has been completed.

The operation was carried out due to an "unstable chemical" found at the plant. Police say all safety concerns have been satisfied.

Advertisement

Peterborough explosion: risk is "low"

Police are urging residents to stay in doors in Peterborough while a controlled explosion is carried out at an engineering plant.

Staff were evacuated from the Perkins site, which produces engines for use in construction and agriculture machinery, at around 1:30am this morning.

The engineering company called us to tell us they'd found this chemical in an unstable state and that they would like some assistance in dealing with it.

"The risk is very, very low to the general public. Those living in neighbouring streets should stay indoors as a precaution.

"We hope to resolve the situation as soon as possible."

– Inspector Kieran Mylchreest, Cambridgeshire Police

A spokeswoman for Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service said a fire engine is on standby at the scene but the service has so far not been involved.

Controlled explosion to take place at 6:30am

500m cordon in place around the Perkins plant in Peterborough Credit: ITV News Central

Residents are part of Peterborough are being told to stay indoors while a controlled explosion takes place on an unstable chemical.

Staff were evacuated from Perkins on Frank Perkins Highway at 1:30am this morning.

A 500metre has been set up around the site and roads are currently closed.

Police say The chemical does not pose a risk to nearby residents, however people are being advised to stay indoors as a precaution.

Load more updates