Warning over cheap, plastic dolls on sale, containing poisonous substance which can lead to increased risk of cancer and asthma.Read the full story ›
The Commercial Director of 99p Stores Ltd - Hussein Lalani - that was fined for selling children's toys containing toxins above the legal safe limit has expressed regret at the incident.
The Director told ITV Central, "99p Stores regrets this unfortunate incident and has strengthened their measures of testing products and meeting the relevant UK safety standards."
A Loughborough company has been fined £16,500 for selling children's toys containing toxins above the legal safe limit.
The plastic doll and bow and arrow set were bought by Trading Standards in Leicestershire as part of a test purchase in 99p Stores.
Tests later showed they contained a toxin which if used excessively can cause liver and kidney damage.
A Leicestershire company which sold children's toys containing toxins above the legal safe level has been fined £16,500.
Leicestershire County Council Trading Standards officers conducted a test purchase operation and found a plastic doll contained 70 times the legal level of phthalates and a bow and arrow set was 33 times over.
The doll was bought at a 99p store in Loughborough.
At court, the company admitted to two charges of failing to comply with legal regulations and received a fine of £10,000 in total.
Trading standards officers will be at Bescot Market in Walsall today hunting for dolls on sale, which contain chemicals linked to cancer, birth defects and infertility in men.
Officers first received complaints about these products early in 2013 and visited traders to ensure they were taken off sale. But they now fear that they were available to buy at the market last weekend.
The dolls have distinctive fruit shaped heads but Trading Standards Officers are also concerned about similar soft dolls wearing animal outfits or in a "crawling" pose wearing polka dot dresses.
Walsall Council are calling for action to be taken over the potentially dangerous ‘fruit headed’ dolls which have been on sale in the Midlands.
A cabinet member said the council would be writing to to the EU and to the Chinese Government.
As we have said, we don’t want to spoil any child’s happiness which is why their safety is paramount to us.
Young children tend to bite and chew and if they do so with these dolls their health could be put at risk.
We have acted on reports that the ‘fruit headed’ dolls are potentially dangerous and have followed up reports that they are on sale to ensure they have been taken off sale.
We would now like to go a step further and will be writing to the EU and to the Chinese Government to express our wish for action to be taken to ensure this product is not put on sale again.
There's a warning tonight that children in the Midlands may have been given Christmas presents that contain a dangerous chemical.
It's been used to make a variety of dolls in China, and is said to be linked to cancer and birth defects if swallowed. ITV News Central correspondent Keith Wilkinson reports.
ITV News Central has seen some similar dolls to those being recalled by Trading Standards being sold online.
eBay says it follows local government legislation and does not permit the sale of ' illegal items.'
Yesterday it appeared similar looking dolls were being offered for sale through Amazon.
But Amazon say they are not available through them.
A web page we saw on the morning of December 30 has since been taken down.
Dr Ian Campbell, a GP in Nottingham, says that parents should take toys off children if they fear they could be the ones containing potentially poisonous plastics.
Trading Standards are warning about health risks about certain types of toy which have reportedly been on sale all over the country.
A GP from Nottingham has said it is "unacceptable" that a poisonous chemical has been found in toy dolls on sale in shops in the Midlands.
Dr Ian Campbell said: "I'm very concerned because there is no safe level of this chemical and we know that it causes problems with cancer, problems with sperm count with adult males and problems with the liver and kidneys.
"It's is unacceptable that children have been exposed to this chemical in this way."