Live updates

Two guilty of Derbyshire toddlers death

A couple have been convicted of the manslaughter of their two-year-old son, who died in Derbyshire after drinking methadone.

Sally Dent, 33 and Shaun Binfield, 45, wept as a jury at Nottingham Crown Court found them guilty, after four hours of deliberations.

Riley Pettipierre died in hospital after drinking the heroin substitute from a beaker left in a bedroom at his family's flat in Belper last March.

Sally Dent was found guilty of a separate charge of cruelty to a child under 16 for failing to keep methadone out of the reach of her child.

Man dies after being 'run over' by his tractor

A tractor driver has died after suffering serious head injuries when his vehicle rolled forwards.

David Milner, who was 64 was taken to the Queens Medical Centre in Nottingham after being found injured in Cotham near Newark.

He was found by a passer-by at the side of Newark Road at its junction with Grange Lane, but died later in hospital. Police are appealing for witnesses.


Girl dies in children's home fire

A teenage girl in care has died in a fire at a children's home in Shropshire.

The fire took place on Saturday night at the Bryn Melyn Care home in the remote village of Bagley Marsh, her two professional carers were unharmed.

The teenager was pronounced dead at the scene and is yet to be formally identified. Police are treating her death as unexplained.

The managing director of the private company which runs the home said:

"Our thoughts go out in particular to her family and friends, as well as the care, education and clinical staff who have worked so closely with her during her time with us.

"We have instigated a full internal review and will be cooperating fully with all the relevant local emergency services and Ofsted to ensure that this terrible event is investigated thoroughly and the cause of the fire established."

– Steve Nevitt, Managing Director

Statement from Cllr Rachel Andrew of Walsall Council said:

"We would wish to express our deep sympathy with the family and friends of the young woman who died in a fire at Bagley Marsh residential home yesterday.

"The young woman was looked after by the local authority and was placed at Bagley Marsh, an independent residential provider in Shropshire.

"We are offering support to her family and working with the police and other agencies in the investigation."

– Cllr Rachel Andrew the portfolio holder for children's services

Teenage girl dies in house fire

A teenage girl has died after a house fire in Shropshire.

The victim, whose age has not been released, was pronounced dead after firefighters were called to a fire at a property in Bagley Marsh, near Ellesmere, late on Saturday.

A spokesman for West Mercia Police said the emergency services were called at around 11.30pm to reports of a fire in a bedroom.

The police spokesman said:

"Officers from Shropshire Fire and Rescue Service found a teenager inside. Paramedics delivered first aid but were unable to revive her and she was declared dead at the scene at 12.25am.

"The death is being treated as unexplained but no-one else is thought to be involved."

Two adults who were also in the property were unharmed.

Man remains in custody over Alum Rock death

Police are continuing to hold a man in custody on suspicion of murdering a Birmingham mother-of-five.

Police said they found a woman with serious injuries in a house in Alum Rock on Monday (19 November) afternoon after responding to an emergency call.

The woman, who is yet to be formally identified, was taken to hospital but died a short while later.

Police believe the victim is 33-year-old Shaista Khatoon who lived at the address.

Investigating officer Chief Inspector Wayne Jones, said:

"Although we're clearly at a very early stage in the investigation we understand that the victim and her attacker were known to one another.

"The death is particularly tragic, as a mother has been taken from her young children.

"Our thoughts and condolences go out to the family of the victim."

– Investigating officer Chief Inspector Wayne Jones

Witnesses left distressed after cat blown up with firework

Northamptonshire Police say two people who witnessed a cat being blown up by a firework have been left distressed.

Police have launched an investigation after a cat had a firework strapped to its back and was blown up.

It was reported by a woman who saw the incident with her daughter on Shelley Road in Wellingborough early on Saturday evening (10 November).

A force spokeswoman said the cat's owner, who lives in the street, has been told about what happened.

"This is an unbelievably cruel act and we are very keen to hear from anybody who has any information which will lead to the identification of the perpetrators.

"Not only was it horrific for the poor animal involved, the witnesses and owners of the cat are understandably very distressed.

– PC Mark Jones

For more on this story see ITV Anglia.


Car crashes into shop killing five-year-old

A five-year-old girl has died after the car she was travelling in veered off a Coventry road and hit a building. The girl was one of four family members involved in the crash which happened at around 2:30am last night.

The car left the road and veered into the building Credit: ITV Central

She was taken to hospital but was later pronounced dead at around 5.00 am.

The girl's mother suffered a broken arm while, a man and a teenager, thought to be the father and brother received hospital treatment for minor injuries.

The building will remain sealed off until it is deemed structurally safe Credit: ITV Central

The junction was cordoned off by police while an investigation was carried out at the junction of King William Street and Canterbury Street, Hillfields.

The roads have now been reopened but the building remains sealed off until it is deemed safe.

Load more updates