A mother has been kicked out of the Miss England beauty pageant because she has a daughter after organisers say it is against their policy.
Controversial plans to limit traffic to 60mph for 12 hours a day on parts of the M1 in Derbyshire have been put on hold.
Hundreds of women have taken part in the fifth 'Moonlight Walk', raising money for a local hospice which provides end-of-life care.
The director of the Miss England competition says letting a mother enter would be unfair on the child and the family.
In a statement, Angie Beasley told ITV News that any winner of the competition would find it difficult to split attention between the role of being Miss England and being a mother.
– Angie Beasley, Director of Miss England
Miss World and Miss England are both run by mothers who have normal family values. It is both unfair on the child and her family to take the mother away from home for the year whilst she travels the globe helping charity causes for children. It raises issues about who would take care of the child/children whose mother was fortunate to win. Surely it seems obvious to anyone that for a mother to devote herself fully to a role such as Miss England or Miss World that it would be unfair on any child...
We all see celebrities such as Victoria Beckham and Beyonce as being successful working mums in the limelight. But these people are top celebrities with nannies and the funds to pay for such a lifestyle. Miss England and Miss World become charity ambassadors for the year... and don't have the same support like the top celebrities have, especially when they are first starting out .
A mother who has been kicked out of the Miss England beauty pageant because she has a daughter says the rule outlawing her is outdated.
She says organisers had originally accepted her application but changed their mind just weeks later as they say competitors who have children can't enter because it is against their policy.
A 55-year-old man has appeared in court charged with offences including making an explosive substance.
Glenn Robinson from Newhall was remanded into custody at Southern Derbyshire Magistrates’ Court this morning.
It's after around 200 people had to be evacuated from their homes on Belvoir Crescent on Saturday evening.
He'll next appear at Derby Crown Court in August.
UNISON members will be dressing up as Victorian workers outside the Royal Derby Hospital to highlight what it's calling the "cost of living crisis" in the UK.
The idea is to draw a comparison between employment today and in the 19th century.
Derby City Council is inviting residents to the Council House this evening to join in what it's calling the 'Big Conversation.'
It's about exploring the challenges the authority and city faces and creating a long term vision for Derby.
Derbyshire County Council's cabinet will today meet to discuss budget cuts of up to £70m over the next three years.
The council says it needs to cut £157m from its budget by 2018 following a loss in Government grants.
If the proposals go ahead it says there could be a loss of around 2,000 jobs over the next three years in addition to the 1,600 jobs cuts announced last year.
The council does say every effort will be made to avoid compulsory redundancies by not replacing staff who leave and offering voluntary redundancy.
Services that could be reduced over the next three years include cuts to Direct Care (the council's social care workers scheme), the closure of up to 23 children's centres, removal of school crossing patrols in 2015, the gritting of fewer roads and reduced staffing for libraries.
There are 40 minute delays on the M1 Southbound following an accident involving two vehicles.
It happened between Junction 25 and Junction 24a and is causing congestion up to Trowell Services
All lanes have re-opened now.