Emergency services are warning people to take care in the snow after several reports of sledging accidents.
Tips for driving safely in winter conditions.
Here are your top tips for staying safe in the snow, courtesy of Midlands Air Ambulance.
- In poor weather conditions, slow down, increase your stopping distance.
- Take care approaching bends, be gentle on the steering, the brake and accelerator.
- To avoid skidding on icy roads drive very slowly.
- Increase your stopping distance by up to ten times in bad weather conditions.
- Black ice is a glaze that forms on surfaces when light freezing rain falls, or ice on road surfaces. It is clear and hard to see.
- If you cannot avoid driving over ice shift into a low gear and do as little as possible, allowing the car to pass over the ice. Try and keep the steering wheel straight.
- If you feel the back end of your car sliding left or right, make a very gentle turn of the steering wheel in the same direction to avoid skidding.
- Slow down by de-accelerating, not by slamming on the brakes