As we head towards the meteorological start of winter will the milder temperatures we have enjoyed all year stay, or go?Read the full story ›
There is queueing traffic and the exit slip road is partially blocked due to an accident invovling two lorries on M1 Southbound at J28 A38.
Traffic was initially unable to leave the M1 and the join the A38 north heading towards Mansfield, traffic is now able to pass.
The Department for Transport have said there will be more trains from Lincoln as part of the the new East Coast franchise to Inter City Railways, a consortium of Stagecoach and Virgin.
@nimeshitv welcome the news & pleased detail good for passengers (esp. Lincs) & taxpayers overall. Much more to do before new rolling stock.
The new deal will include a host of extra benefits for passengers:
- 23 new services from London to key destinations, with 75 more station calls a day;
- plans for new direct links to Huddersfield, Sunderland, Middlesbrough, Dewsbury and Thornaby;
- proposals for more trains to London from Bradford, Edinburgh, Harrogate, Leeds, Lincoln, Newcastle, Shipley, Stirling, and York;
- 3,100 extra seats for the morning peak time by 2020;
- across the entire train fleet there will be 12,200 additional seats – a 50% increase;
- 65 state of the art Intercity Express trains brought into passenger service from 2018, totalling 500 new carriages;
- journey times from London to Leeds reduced by 14 minutes, and from London to Edinburgh by 13 minutes; and
- a £140 million investment package to improve trains and stations.
A consortium involving Sir Richard Branson's train company Virgin Trains has been chosen to run the East Coast main line franchise from next year.
The Department for Transport (DfT) said the consortium involving Virgin and transport company Stagecoach, who already run the West Coast line, will start the East Coast franchise in March 2015.
There has been speculation that a consortium of Eurotunnel and French company Keolis which is 70% owned by French state railway SNCF, had been chosen as the new East Coast operator.
But Eurotunnel/Keolis have now missed out, as have the other shortlisted bidder, FirstGroup (correct) which has recently also lost its First Capital Connect and ScotRail franchises.
A major commuter route into Derby will be reopened today after more than a year.
London Road has been closed while a new seven million pound bridge has been built over the main Derby-to-Birmingham rail line.
It replaces the previous 135-year-old bridge which was deemed unsafe for heavy vehicles.
More than 200,000 pensioners in the East Midlands are struggling to cope with basic tasks at home like cooking, dressing or bathing.
That's according to a report by the Age and the Strategic Society Centre.
It claims thousands of pensioners are living without basic day-to-day support or council services in their own homes.
Two firefighters in Leicestershire have turned their hand to graffiti art to deliver a message about safe driving.
They have just completed this mural outside their station in the New Parks area of the city.
The work highlights the four biggest road dangers: drink and drugs, using mobile phones, speeding and not wearing seat belts.
Another cloudy day with outbreaks rain or drizzle and mist in the morning. Some heavier bursts of rain possible at first.Read the full story ›
Another cloudy day ahead with outbreaks rain or drizzle and mist in the morning.Read the full story ›
It will stay cloudy and misty overnight with further outbreaks of rain and drizzle, and with widespread locally dense fog.Read the full story ›