Fire crews tackle blaze

Woodyard fire still burning

Fire Fighters continue to fight a fire that started at a recycling plant on Lows Lane in Stanton-by-Dale in Derbyshire.

Live updates

Emergency services prepare for 'Black Friday'

A lively night in Broad Street last year Credit: ITV News Central

The region's police forces are gearing up for Black Friday in two days time, due to be one of the biggest nights out of 2013.

On this night last year Staffordshire Police received 414 calls to its 999 service between 2pm and 7am.

There'll be more staff on hand in its call centres and on the streets.

The Force's tips for a safe night out include:

  • arrange a lift home

  • make sure your phone is fully charged

  • don't accept lifts from cruising taxis

  • don't leave drinks and bags unattended

  • never leave a party with a stranger

  • don't walk home alone

  • don't take short cuts

  • only drink non-alcoholic drinks if driving

  • stick in a group

  • don't drive for at least 12 hours after your last drink

Click here to read how the services coped last year when an ITV News Central reporter spent the night with West Midlands Police Service.


Toddler dies after being struck by car

Police are appealing for information following a collision in Rookery Road in Handsworth this morning where a toddler died.

Officers were called by the ambulance service at around 10.15am to a report of a grey Vauxhall Astra in collision with a child.

A 3-year-old child was treated at the scene for serious injuries and was taken to hospital where he died. The child has not been formally identified and a post mortem examination is due to take place. The toddler"s next of kin have been informed.

Rookery Road remains closed while emergency services investigate the circumstances surrounding the collision.The 26-year-old female driver of the Astra was voluntarily interviewed and will be spoken again to at a later date.

Emergency services respond to serious collision

Emergency services are currently at the scene of a fatal road traffic collision. Initial indications are that a toddler has been struck by a car.

Police were alerted to the incident on Rookery Road at the junction of Mervyn Road in Handsworth at 10.15am today (Friday 3 May) following a call from the ambulance service.

Officers were immediately dispatched and the driver of a Vauxhall Astra which stopped at the scene is helping officers with their inquiries.

Specialist collision investigators are at the scene and Rookery Road remains closed while forensic examinations take place.

Horse rescue in Staffordshire


Abbots Bromley crew & specialist animal rescue unit from Cannock attending a horse which is stuck in a swimming pool....update will follow.


Horse successfully rescued by crews from Abbots Bromley, Burton and Cannock and checked by Vet


Fish moved back to Erewash Canal after no pollution found

Stanton-by-Dale fire blazed for nine days and burnt for 60
Stanton-by-Dale fire blazed for nine days and burnt for 60 Credit: ITV Central

Tens of thousands of fish will be moved back to a stretch of the Erewash Canal after tests founds no sign of pollution.

The fire that burned for 60 days at a Stanton-by-Dale recycling plant, in Derbyshire, is thought to have been the cause of thousands of fish deaths after water used to extinguish the fire, ran into the canal contaminating and deoxygenating it.

More than 100,000 fish were rescued and moved upstream by the Environment Agency.

Now, the Canals and Rivers Trust is looking to bring fish back to the one-and-a-half-kilometre stretch of the canal that was cleared after recent tests found no signs of pollution.

The fire in the old Stanton Ironworks site, started on September 15. It was a blaze for nine days and was attended by 60 firefighters at its peak.

Fire extinguished after eight weeks

A fire that has been burning for 60 days has finally been extinguished.

The blaze at a recycling facility in Stanton-by-Dale has been burning since the 15th September.

Derbyshire Fire and Rescue thanked the local community for their patience and cooperation during since the 7,000 tonnes of material was set ablaze.

Firefighters smothered the deep seated fire by burying the wood pulp in specially prepared pits on adjacent land.

Load more updates


Today's top stories