Live updates

Witnesses left distressed after cat blown up with firework

Northamptonshire Police say two people who witnessed a cat being blown up by a firework have been left distressed.

Police have launched an investigation after a cat had a firework strapped to its back and was blown up.

It was reported by a woman who saw the incident with her daughter on Shelley Road in Wellingborough early on Saturday evening (10 November).

A force spokeswoman said the cat's owner, who lives in the street, has been told about what happened.

"This is an unbelievably cruel act and we are very keen to hear from anybody who has any information which will lead to the identification of the perpetrators.

"Not only was it horrific for the poor animal involved, the witnesses and owners of the cat are understandably very distressed.

– PC Mark Jones

For more on this story see ITV Anglia.

Advertisement

Cat dies after being strapped to firework

Northamptonshire Police are appealing for witnesses following the death of a cat.

Police were called after a woman and her daughter saw a cat with a firework attached to it, which then exploded.

The cat died immediately.

The incident happened on Shelley Road in Wellingborough early on Saturday evening (November 10th).

This is an unbelievably cruel act and we are very keen to hear from anybody who has any information which will lead to the identification of the perpetrators. Not only was it horrific for the poor animal involved, the witnesses and owners of the cat are understandably very distressed.

– pc mark jones

Top tips on staying safe for Bonfire Night

Looking forward to Bonfire Night on 5 November? ITV Central is on hand to provide you with the top tips to stay safe and have fun!

  • Light sparklers one at a time and wear gloves
  • Never give sparklers to children under five
  • Buy fireworks marked BS 7114
  • Keep fireworks in a closed box
  • Always follow the instructions on each firework
  • Light at arm's length using a taper
  • Stand well back
  • NEVER go back to a lit firework
  • Never put fireworks in your pocket
  • Never throw fireworks
  • Keep pets indoors