Comedian Freddie Starr was bailed today until early December as police investigations continue into alleged sexual offences.
The 70-year-old was initially arrested at his Warwickshire home in November last year by officers from Scotland Yard’s Operation Yewtree, the national investigation sparked by abuse allegations against Jimmy Savile.
Mr Starr’s lawyer said he is "astonished" at the length of time the investigation is taking.
Freddie was due to return to the police station today to answer bail and our belief was that this would have marked the end of this matter.
However, we have been informed that the police have instead re-bailed him to 5th December.
We are astonished at the amount of time this investigation is taking in relation to Freddie and indeed surprised, on the basis of what has been put to him, that he even remains under investigation.
Freddie Starr's lawyer said the comedian is hopeful he will be able to clear his name after he was re-bailed following his arrest by officers investigating the Jimmy Savile abuse scandal.
Starr, 70, was re-bailed until 28 August after he was due to answer bail today.
His lawyer, Dean Dunham, said: "Mr Starr was due to answer bail today, Wednesday June 19. However, the police have decided to re-bail him to August 28 and in the circumstances he was not required to attend the police station today.
"Mr Starr has maintained his innocence throughout and has assisted the police with their inquiries at all times.
"We are hopeful that the police inquiries are drawing close to a conclusion at which time Mr Starr will be able to confirm that he has publicly cleared his good name and reputation."