Live updates

  1. National

Proctor: 'I have nothing to add to this Kafka-esque fantasy'

Former Tory MP Harvey Proctor has said he is assisting police with its enquiries but continued to deny being part of a "rent boy ring".

Detectives from the Metropolitan Police's Operation Midlands have been searching his home, which is located within the grounds of Belvoir Castle, near Grantham, Leicestershire, as part of an investigation into historical child sex claims.

Earlier in an interview with BBC Radio 4's Today programme, Mr Proctor denied attending sex parties with other MPs in the 1970s and 1980s and said he knew nothing of an alleged VIP paedophile ring in Westminster.

Addressing the media later, Mr Proctor continued to deny the allegations saying: "I have nothing to add to this Kafka-esque fantasy".

Advertisement

Ex-MP 'not part of rent-boy ring'

Former Conservative MP Harvey Proctor has denied being part of a "rent-boy ring" or attending sex parties with other prominent figures, after his Leicestershire home was searched by police investigating historic allegations of child sex abuse.

Harvey Proctor pictured in 1991 Credit: PA

Mr Proctor - who left Parliament in 1987 after pleading guilty to acts of gross indecency - said he knew nothing about a VIP paedophile ring alleged to have existed at Westminster during the 1970s and 1980s, or allegations that three boys linked to the abuse were murdered.

He told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "I find myself in a very Kafka-esque fantasy situation.

"The police have said basically that they are investigating historical sex abuse allegations going back to the 1970s and 1980s.

"I have never attended sex parties at Dolphin Square or anywhere else. I have not been part of any rent-boy ring with Cabinet ministers, other Members of Parliament or generals or the military.

"I conducted my private life in a discreet manner. It wasn't I who outed myself, it was the press who did an assortment of things to out me.

"I was a discreet person and regarded in the House of Commons as a very independent MP and a loner. The last thing I would have dreamed of doing was talking to other MPs or ministers or anyone else about my private life. It wasn't that I was ashamed of being a homosexual, it was that I didn't think it mattered a damn to the work I did on behalf of my constituents."

Mr Proctor said he was keen to be interviewed by police as soon as possible to clear his name.

"The police wish to interview me," he said. "They talked in terms of that interview taking place in a matter of weeks. I asked for that interview to take place at the earliest opportunity."

Officers are investigating allegations that three boys linked to the alleged ring were murdered.

Mr Proctor represented Basildon in Essex from 1979 to 1983 and Billericay, also in Essex, from 1983 to 1987. He also sat on the executive of the right-wing pressure group the Monday Club.

  1. National

Ex-Tory MP's home searched in child sex investigation

The home of former Conservative MP Harvey Proctor is being searched by police investigating historical allegations of child sex abuse.

Detectives from the Metropolitan Police's Operation Midland are carrying out the search of his home, which is located within the 16,000-acre grounds of Belvoir Castle near Grantham, Leicestershire.

Detectives from the Metropolitan Police's Operation Midland are carrying out the search. Credit: PA Wire

Proctor, 68, works for the Duke and Duchess of Rutland, who live on the estate with their five children.

A Met Police spokesman said he "can confirm officers from Operation Midland are carrying out a search of an address in Grantham in connection with their inquiries".

  1. Calendar

Ryan Smith's first steps captured on family video

A teenager who was badly injured in a cycling accident has taken his first steps.

Ryan Smith from Skegness suffered a serious brain injury after the accident in July 2013. He was not wearing a cycling helmet. Since then his family has campaigned to make it compulsory for children to wear them.

This weekend, Ryan took his first steps, without the help of a frame to support him, progress the teenager says he is proud of.

Police release images after 55 cars are damaged in one street

Police want to speak to this man in connection with a series of cases of criminal damage in Grantham Credit: Lincolnshire Police

Police have released an image of a man they want to speak to after 55 cars were damaged on a Grantham street.

The spate of crimes started in October, when 20 cars were scratched on Huntingtower Road, quite near the station. Then, on Christmas Eve, another 13 cars were targeted, some for the second time.

Then, between December 30 and January 3, another 22 cars were damaged.

Police want to speak to this man in connection with a series of cases of criminal damage in Grantham Credit: Lincolnshire Police

Whoever is responsible is believed to have caused up to £35,000-worth of damage. It's though that all the crimes were committed by a man walking up and down the street between 1am and 2am, scratching the paintwork on cars with an implement of some kind.

Advertisement

Police resume search for missing pensioner

Jack Foster left Grantham Hospital earlier this week Credit: Lincolnshire Police

Specialist search teams have resumed their search around Grantham for missing pensioner Jack Foster.

The 83-year-old has not been seen since Tuesday afternoon when the last sighting of him was just after 2.30pm in the town's bus station.

Lincolnshire Police say they don't know whether he got on a bus or not, but are appealing for anyone who may have seen him on Tuesday afternoon to contact them.

Police are also renewing their appeal for people in the North Grantham area to check their sheds and outbuildings for anything to suggest that somebody may have stayed there, or to hear from anyone who may have offered Jack a lift.

Crash witness: bungalow owner hurt in dive for cover

Chris Wright was one of the first on the scene after a plane crashed into a bungalow in Lincolnshire, injuring three people this afternoon.

The 73-year-old pilot was airlifted to hospital in Nottingham with a leg injury. Mr Wright said a tanker driver delivering oil to the house, and the homeowner, both suffered cuts and bruises as they dived for cover with the plane headed straight towards them.

Police confirm 73-year-old crash pilot has leg injury

Emergency services at the scene of the plane crash Credit: Clever Coop Company

Police have confirmed the 73-year-old pilot of a plane which crashed into a bungalow in Lincolnshire has suffered a leg injury.

The plane came down on the home in Castle Bytham south of Lincolnshire at 2.08pm this afternoon. The pilot, who's from Thurnby in Leicestershire, was airlifted to the Queen's Medical Centre in Nottingham.

Load more updates