A spokesperson for the Celtic Manor has commented on the death of a man in hospital after his vehicle went into a lake at the resort this morning.
The Celtic Manor Resort is deeply saddened to confirm that a fatal accident took place on its Twenty Ten Course at around 7.50am on Tuesday 3rd March.
The incident is subject to an ongoing investigation which the Celtic Manor Resort is co-operating with fully.
The Resort is unable to comment further at this stage. Our thoughts are with the family at this very difficult time.
Gwent Police and a health & safety team from Newport City Council are investigating the incident.
Gwent Police have confirmed a 20-year-old man has died after his vehicle went into a lake on a golf course at the Celtic Manor resort this morning.
The man, from the Ross-on-Wye area, was taken to the Royal Gwent Hospital in a critical condition this morning after an agricultural spraying vehicle that he was in went into the water.
Police say a 46-year-old man, also from the Ross-on-Wye area, who was also in the vehicle was taken to the hospital remains in hospital.
He is being treated for minor injuries.
South Wales Fire & Rescue Service say they were called to the Celtic Manor after reports of "a small agricultural sprayer" that had rolled into a lake.
A man was released from the vehicle prior to the arrival of the fire crews, and was taken to hospital by ambulance.
One person has been rescued from the River Severn overnight by firefighters.
International Justice Mission, the human rights organisation which helped bring Simon Harris to justice, has praised both British and Kenyan police, after the ex-teacher from Herefordshire was sentenced to 17 years and four months for the abuse of Kenyan street children.
The organisation said the case showed that international borders should present no barrier to the prosecution of paedophiles like Harris.
Hannah Flint told ITV News the charity is "delighted" that many more children are protected from ever coming across Simon Harris.
Meanwhile Kelvin Lay, from the National Crime Agency, said the length of his sentence "reflects the crimes that Simon Harris has committed".
A former teacher from Herefordshire has been sentenced to 17 years and four months in prison after being found guilty of abusing young boys in Kenya.
In December, 55-year-old Simon Harris, from Pudleston near Leominster, was convicted of indecent and sexual assault on youngsters, and possessing indecent images of children.
Jailing Harris, the judge told the University of Southampton classics graduate he would serve half his sentence on licence and also handed him a life-long sexual offences prevention order.
Nancy Cole reports on the background to the case:
A judge who today sentenced a former teacher from Herefordshire to 17 years and four months in jail for the abuse of Kenyan street children, said he had abused "amongst the most vulnerable in the world."
Before his trial last year, Simon Harris admitted six counts of indecently assaulting three boys at a college in Devon, where he had been a housemaster in the 1980s.
Judge Parker said Harris, who later moved to Kenya, had continued his sexual offending against boys, and this time against street children whom he said "were amongst the most vulnerable in the world".
"You assumed a hallowed position among the locals," said the judge.
"You were revered as someone who could provide the gift of education.
"You were answerable to no-one - and once again you had access to boys."
The judge added that Harris's charity work in education meant "no-one batted an eyelid" when he washed boys, and allowed youngsters to sleep in his bedroom at the remote home he owned on the outskirts of the town of Gilgil.
"You walked on water. But none of them knew you had a sexual motive."
A former public school teacher described as a prolific and calculating sexual predator has been jailed for 17 years and four months after abusing vulnerable young Kenyan street children.
Charity boss Simon Harris lured boys using food, money and the promise of schooling to his luxury home in the East African country where the abuse took place between 2002 and May 2013.
Harris, 55, of Pudleston near Leominster in Herefordshire, was convicted after trial last year of three indecent assaults and five sexual assaults, with one victim thought to be as young as nine.
He was also found guilty of four charges of possessing indecent images of children.
Former public school teacher and charity boss Simon Harris has been jailed at Birmingham Crown Court for 17 years and four months after abusing vulnerable Kenyan street children.
Harris lured boys using food, money and the promise of schooling to his luxury home in the East African country where the abuse took place between 2002 and May 2013.
Harris, of Pudleston near Leominster in Herefordshire, was convicted of three indecent assaults and five sexual assaults, with one victim thought to be as young as nine.
The 55 year old was also found guilty of four charges of possessing indecent images of children.
An inspection into West Mercia Police's child protection work has criticised the force's 'weak' responses to child sexual exploitation.
In a report published this morning, HM Inspectorate of Constabulary praised officers' rigorous supervision of registered sex offenders, but said complex investigations were often poorly planned.
The watchdog carried out the inspection in November last year as part of a rolling programme of reports into police forces in England and Wales.
In a summary of their findings, inspectors said that they were impressed by:
- The force's 'clear commitment' to improving services for vulnerable people and children.
- Quick response times to allegations about child abuse.
- The sensitivity and skill shown by the specialist teams who question very young children, or children with learning difficulties.
- The force's rigorous supervision of registered sex offenders.
Inspectors were concerned to find:
- Investigations were poorly planned or insufficiently thorough in difficult or complex cases.
- Recognising and responding to child sexual exploitation was weak.
- Too many children were being unnecessarily held in police custody overnight.
- In cases that were allocated to non-specialist teams, enquiries and investigations were undertaken by insufficiently skilled and knowledgeable staff.
“West Mercia Police is clearly committed to improving child protection services and has invested in new structures, specialist teams and resources to improve the timeliness of investigations.”
“Despite this commitment, West Mercia Police needs to improve in a number of areas. We found that the initial response to child protection issues was sometimes slow, and that investigations were not always of the highest quality. We also found that there were significant delays in some investigations, which can have a negative impact on the child. The force also needs to make sure staff who undertake child protection work are sufficiently skilled.
“I encourage West Mercia Police to act on our recommendations as a matter of urgency, and have asked that within six weeks it provides us with an action plan to demonstrate how it will take forward these recommendations.”