Showers have been banned on two wards at the Leicester General Hospital, after a potentially lethal bug was found in the water supply.Read the full story ›
Showers have been banned and bottled drinking water provided on two wards at the Leicester General Hospital, after a potentially lethal bug was found in the water supply.
The hospital says that routine testing of the water supply has shown that higher than normal levels of Legionella bacteria were present on wards 28 and 29, triggering its safety plan.
The potentially lethal bug can cause a form of pneumonia called Legionnaires.
The Health Protection Agency has declared an outbreak of Legionnaires' Disease over in Stoke-on-Trent. Two people died and more than 20 others contracted the disease.
But those affected by the illness are calling for a public inquiry. Giuseppe Orlando says he's angry that medical procedures weren't in place when he sought treatment after becoming ill.
The outbreak of Legionnaires’ disease in Stoke-on-Trent that resulted in 21 cases and two deaths has been declared over by public health experts from the Health Protection Agency (HPA).
Of the two patients in hospital, one is due to be discharged today.
The second is improving and has been transferred from critical care to a ward.
It is 25 days since the probable source - a hot tub on display at JTF Warehouse in Fenton - was decommissioned and health experts no longer expect to see cases associated with this outbreak.
People who contracted Legionnaires' disease this year are calling for a public inquiry after a fatal outbreak in Stoke-on-Trent.Read the full story ›
The Health Protection Agency said the latest case brings the total to 21. The patient, who is being treated at the University Hospital of North Staffordshire, is a man in his 70s.
Two patients being treated for the disease since the spate of illnesses began in the middle of July have died.
Another case of Legionnaires' disease has been confirmed in the Stoke-on-Trent outbreak bringing the total of cases to 21.
A man in his seventies is now recovering and three other patients remain in hospital. experts believe the source of the outbreak was a hot tub at a discount warehouse in Fenton.
A second person has died after an outbreak of Legionnaires disease in Stoke-on-Trent.Read the full story ›
A second person has died after an outbreak of Legionnaires disease in Stoke-on-Trent.
A man in his seventies who was being treated at the University Hospital of North Staffordshire died on Saturday.
Health officials say the probable source of the outbreak was a hot tub on display at the JTF Discount Warehouse in Fenton in Stoke on Trent.
The Health Protection Agency has confirmed that another case of Legionnaires' disease has been identified, in connection with the outbreak at Stoke on Trent.
It brings the number of confirmed cases from 19 to 20. The latest patient has been discharged from hospital and is recovering at home.
According to the University Hospital of North Staffordshire, three patients remain in a stable condition in hospital.