Police in Leicester have released CCTV images of a man they wish to speak to in connection with a robbery which left an elderly woman injured.
The incident, which happened at around 10am on Sunday July 26 in New Walk, Leicester, left the 63-year-old victim with a broken arm and severe bruising.
She was on her way to church when she was approached by an unknown man who snatched her bag before running off along University Road and across London Road onto Highfield Street.
The stolen items have not yet been recovered. These include a bag with a red Chinese logo on the side which contained a black leather wallet and personal items. It also contained envelopes with donations, which displayed the words ‘St James the Greater Church offering’ on them.
The suspect is described as black, aged between 35 and 40-years-old, around 5ft 5ins tall and of stocky build. He was clean shaven, had short cropped black hair and was wearing a light brown or grey top.
The man pictured in the photos released was seen in the New Walk area 30 minutes prior to the robbery.
Anyone with information about the attack should contact DC 2063 Matthew Wiggins on 101.
Detectives investigating an incident in Leicester in which two people were left with stab wounds have made a further four arrests in connection with the incident.
A 20-year-old man was detained on suspicion of violent disorder and three other men, aged 23, 20 and 18, were arrested on suspicion of assisting an offender.
A 20-year-old man, who had been arrested on Tuesday (4 August) on suspicion of violent disorder, has been released on police bail pending further enquiries.
Emergency services were called to Bateman Road just after 8.20am on Sunday where two men had been injured in an altercation.
The men, aged 18 and 19, had sustained stab wounds and were taken to hospital where they both remain in a critical condition.
Leicestershire Police have launched a service to help those who are deaf, hard of hearing and deaf blind to contact the police.Read the full story ›
Leicestershire Police have announced further plans to cut staff numbers in order to save more than £15m over the next three years.
It is part of a plan to radically change policing across Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland.
As part of the new model of policing, local police officers will no longer investigate crime. They will be focused on reducing anti-social behaviour and patrolling. Any arrests made or crimes reported would be passed on to a new investigation hub.
Leicestershire Police says this change alone would increase the number of hours police officers spend on the frontline from 140,000 per year to 180,000 per year, despite cutting the number of officers.
The force has not released any details of how many officer and staff posts will be lost in this new phase of cuts.
Leicestershire Police employ more than 2000 officers. In the last round of cuts police staff numbers were cut by almost 500.
The force say they wish to implement the new model of policing in the current financial year.
Police have released a CCTV image of a man suspected of assaulting a police officer in Hinckley after England's World Cup defeat to Uruguay.
Officers were called to Regent Street on Thursday June 19 at around 10.05pm after the game, to reports of anti-social behaviour involving supporters playing football in the street.
The ball was confiscated by one of the officers and put inside a police car, but one of the people involved slammed the door shut, trapping the officer’s arm in the door.
PC Clive Clarke said:
“Luckily the officer wasn’t seriously injured and able to return to duties, a number of people were involved in the disturbance and we are now in a position to issue a CCTV image of a man we would like to identity and trace in connection with the incident."
A Community Support Officer for Leicestershire Police has taken part in a skydive to raise money for the Motor Neurone Disease Association.
PCSO Liam Palmer from Melton Mowbray local policing unit completed the sponsored jump from 13,000ft yesterday, as part of a tandem dive that took off from Sibson airfield near Peterborough.
PCSO Palmer said:
I am very proud to have been able to help the charity by taking part in the jump. It was a nerve wrecking but amazing experience!
The charity is very close to my heart after losing a very close family friend to the condition in 2011 and also with my colleague Sergeant Sparling suffering from the disease.
So far I have raised about £950 for the charity and I hope that I can break £1000 very soon!”
More community police officers and three new police cars are now on the beat in Leicestershire to tackle anti-social behaviour.
The police were criticised after Fiona Pilkington, from Barwell, killed herself and her disabled daughter in 2007, after years of abuse.
The Police and Crime Commissioner, Sir Clive Loader, says he is committed to tackling anti-social behaviour.
The Bishop of Leicester has released a statement following yesterday's verdict in the trial for the murder of Antoin Akpom.
The Rt Revd Tim Stevens said:
Antoin’s death was a tragedy for both his family and for the communities of the city. The pain of that tragedy is not diminished by this verdict – one young man has lost his life and another young man faces prison as a result. Antoin’s mother Cheryl, and her family, have shown remarkable dignity through the pressure of these very difficult times, but his loss is felt very deeply...
... As Christians celebrate Easter, we remember too that in the face of tragic death, there is hope. We must look beyond these terrible events, bring some sense of closure, and work for the better future we can build together. A renewed commitment to see our communities standing alongside each other and working together for truth and reconciliation is the best way to face these challenging times with a shared hope for the future.
19-year-old Hussain Hussain has been jailed for life for the murder of the Leicester football coach and will serve a minimum of 15 years for stabbing Mr Akpom in September last year.
A 19-year-old man has been jailed for life for the murder of Leicester football coach Antoin Akpom.
Hussain Hussain will serve a minimum of 15 years for stabbing Mr Akpom in the back in Kent Street in September last year.
Antoin Akpom was the father of a one-year-old son and coached a youth football team in Leicester.
The jury heard how Mr Akpom and a friend had been holding a dance and fitness class at a school in Highfields before he was stabbed.
A 19 year-old man has been convicted of murdering a fitness coach who was stabbed shortly after leaving work at a primary school in Leicester.
The jury, sitting at Stafford Crown Court, deliberated for almost ten hours before unanimously convicting Hussain Hussain of killing Antoin Akpom on Kent Street last year.
Mr Akpom, 20, died in hospital after suffering a collapsed lung when he was stabbed in the back on 12 September.
During the two week trial the prosecution alleged that Hussain stabbed Mr Akpom after punches were thrown during an altercation.
Jurors also heard Mr Akpom was attacked around seven hours before four members of the same family died in an alleged arson attack on a house in Leicester.
The jury has yet to reach a verdict on co-defendant Abdul Hakim, who denies murder. It will resume its deliberations tomorrow on the 19 year-old.