Cloudy and unsettled. Increasingly windy
We test weather lores for 17th May 2012.
Cloudy today. Looking unsettled with sunny spells at weekend.
- Netweather reported there were 54,000 lightning bolts in 24 hours across the Midlands and north Britain - around 20 times more than during usual lightning events.
- At the storms peak, 153 lightning strikes were being recorded every minute.
- In Leicestershire the freak weather saw hailstones as big as golf balls crash down, some even smashing car windows.
- Half a month's rain fell in just an hour this morning as the severe storm hit across the Midlands.
- In Scampton, Lincolnshire, 25.8mm of rain fell between 1pm and 2pm.
Three people have been treated by ambulance crews following a Lightning strike on flats in Hereford.
Two ambulances, a paramedic in a rapid response vehicle and an incident support officer attended the scene.
A West Midlands Ambulance spokesperson said:
"Ambulance crews treated two females and one male for shock, together with cuts and abrasions sustained from falling masonry."
All those treated did not require further assistance.