The fire service found a fire in a first-floor bedroom, and managed to put it out before it could spread to other parts of the house.Read the full story ›
See some of the spectacular videos sent in by viewers who filmed the lightning storms last night.Read the full story ›
This spectacular slow-motion footage shows a lightning strike over Cheltenham in Gloucestershire.
CCTV footage shows the moments of destruction following lightning striking a Leicester Gurdwara.
The video shows elderly female worshippers singing hymns together before the roof suddenly collapses in on them, causing chaos and panic.
No injuries have been reported, but a woman was taken to hospital has a precautionary measure.
A lightning strike that destroyed the roof of a Leicester Gurdwara took place only 30 minutes after the building had been full of people.
Worshippers at the Ramgarhia Sikh Temple on Meynell Road had been celebrating the wedding of a committee member's daughter minutes earlier. The strike happened just after everyone had left.
Inderjit Singh Panesar, the president of the board at the temple said: "We left the Gurdwara at about half-past two. We had a full congregation of 200-250 people in the morning…Had the incident taken place half an hour earlier, it would have been a major disaster.
"I am still in shock and devastated for the community. "Members of the congregation sit near the stage…So I daren't imagine what might have been...I honestly think we would have had some fatalities [had people been here]."
No series injuries have been reported, but one woman was taken to hospital as a precaution.
A lightning strike destroyed a large section of a temple roof in Leicester yesterday, showering those inside with debris.
No injuries were reported after the roof of the Ramgarhia Sikh Temple on Meynell Road caved in, showering worshippers with wooden beams and roof tiles.
- Netweather reported there were 54,000 lightning bolts in 24 hours across the Midlands and north Britain - around 20 times more than during usual lightning events.
- At the storms peak, 153 lightning strikes were being recorded every minute.
- In Leicestershire the freak weather saw hailstones as big as golf balls crash down, some even smashing car windows.
- Half a month's rain fell in just an hour this morning as the severe storm hit across the Midlands.
- In Scampton, Lincolnshire, 25.8mm of rain fell between 1pm and 2pm.
Cloudy and unsettled. Increasingly windyRead the full story ›
We test weather lores for 17th May 2012.Read the full story ›
Cloudy today. Looking unsettled with sunny spells at weekend.Read the full story ›