Live updates

Family demand answers over Moazzam Begg detention

The family of former Guantanamo Bay detainee Moazzam Begg are demanding answers after he was remanded in custody for seven months on terror-related charges - before being released today as the charges were dropped.

His father, Azmat Begg, said he could not understand "how or why" police had arrested his son if they did not have sufficient evidence.

Charlotte Cross has the full story.

Advertisement

Statement from Moazamm Begg solicitors on release

The solicitors for Moazamm Begg have released a statement following his release.

Moazzam Begg Credit: Dominic Lipinski/PA Wire/Press Association Images

The 45-year-old from Birmingham, who has previously been held in Guantanamo Bay, had been in custody for seven months awaiting a trial which was due to start on Monday.

He was released earlier today after prosecutors dropped seven terror charges against him.

Moazzam Begg is a good and brave man. He is a rare individual who will talk to everyone and listen to everyone, even those with whom he profoundly disagrees. He has spent the near decade since he was released from the torture of Bagram and Guantanamo in attempting to wake the world up to injustice and to comprehend its causes and effects. His intelligent voice, of reason and tolerance, is desperately needed now. We are relieved he is free again to contribute to our understanding of each other. There is nothing new that can have been discovered now that was not always crystal clear - that this is an innocent man.

– Moazzam Begg's solicitors

Terror charges against Moazzam Begg dropped

Former Guantanamo Bay detainee Moazzam Begg will walk free from prison after prosecutors dropped seven terror charges against him linked to the civil war in Syria.

Moazzam Begg Credit: PA

The 45-year-old from Birmingham has been in custody for seven months awaiting a trial which was due to start on Monday.

At an earlier hearing he had pleaded not guilty to all the charges.

But at a pre-trial review today lasting just five minutes the prosecution dramatically dropped the case.

When Mr Begg was charged with a number of offences earlier this year the Crown Prosecution Service were satisfied there was sufficient evidence to afford prosecution. In the months that have followed the prosecution have kept under review the sufficiency of the evidence in this case. The prosecution have recently become aware of relevant material and in light of which, after careful and anxious consideration, have reached the conclusion that there is no longer a realistic prospect of conviction in this case. The prosecution therefore offer no evidence."

– Prosecutor Christopher Hehir

Advertisement

Special Report: ITV correspondent speaks to Education Secretary

Education Secretary Nicky Morgan Credit: Dominic Lipinski/PA Archive/Press Association Images

The new Education Secretary Nicky Morgan has delivered her first keynote speech at the Conservative Party Conference in Birmingham.

Our correspondent Gareth Owen has part two of this special report from the conference.

Benefit Street's White Dee tells Tories she backs UKIP

White Dee from controversial reality TV show 'Benefits Street' has told the Tories she is backing UKIP.

White Dee Credit: BPM Media

She was speaking at the Conservative Party Conference in Birmingham, where she blasted the Prime Minister for being "out of touch" and revealed David Cameron had ignored her letters.

Dee also spoke of her political ambitions to represent her own party as an MP.

I like to speak for myself but Mr Farage doesn’t seem to be doing too badly. He’s had a few extra members joining recently. I like to make decisions depending on what they are actually saying.”

– White Dee
Load more updates