The meeting between British and Portuguese police over the Madeleine McCann case is routine and there are no plans for any imminent arrests.
Met Police want to speak to a number of men about a large number phone calls they made in the area on the night the child vanished.
The Portuguese inquiry into the disappearance of Madeleine McCann has been reopened amid new leads in the case.
The paper claims that analysis of mobile phone data shows a burglary gang was operating in the Portuguese resort of Praia de Luz in 2007 and they made a high number of calls in the hours immediately following her disappearance.
The paper alleges that "informal discussions" have taken place between British and Portuguese police about arresting the three burglars to search their homes as they may have disturbed the sleeping girl during an attempted break-in.
British police cannot arrest foreigners abroad.
Kate & Gerry McCann have been refused the chance to give evidence at the Portuguese libel trial of a former local police chief, who wrote a book claiming the couple were involved with the disappearance of their daughter Madeleine.
The couple from Rothley in Leicestershire had asked to give evidence at the trial over Goncalo Amaral's book The Truth of the Lie, which is taking place in Lisbon.
The couple are said to be disappointed by the decision, and their lawyer Isabel Duarte is likely to appeal.
Madeleine, who was nearly four at the time, disappeared from a holiday apartment in the resort of Praia da Luz in the Algarve on May 3 2007 as her parents dined at a nearby restaurant with friends.
Reports today claim Nato planes were on a mission over the Algarve coastline on the day Madeleine McCann disappeared - and that pictures from the exercise could shed light on what happened to the youngster.
The Sunday Express reports today that a Portuguese military aircraft took photos of the coastline on May 3, 2007 - including some late into the evening.
British military expert Philip Burden has claimed that the pictures were clear enough to be able to identify people and buildings.
Metropolitan Police Commissioner, Sir Bernard Hogan-Howe, has suggested British and Portuguese police should join together as a team, in order to establish exactly what happened to missing Madeleine McCann.
After Portuguese authorities admitted last month there was enough new information to justify reopening the case, after shelving their own inquiry back in 2008, Commissioner Hogan-Howe said:
One thing we'd like to see in the future is a joint investigation team which comes under the European community. It is a possibility legally and we're working together at a political level, at a police and judicial level, to see how we can construct that...
...So that's what we're trying to get; an agreement between the two governments and the two police services.
The public have responded in their thousands to the recent television appeals concerning the disappearance of Madeleine McCann.
Detective Chief Inspector Andy Redwood, a senior investigator in the case, said numerous people present in Praia da Luz at the time she went missing have come forward.
Speaking on BBC's Crimewatch programme, he said:
The media appeals produced a fantastic response from the public in all three countries, with a total of 3,500 calls and messages in the UK, 850 in Germany and 650 in Holland...
...Lots of people have called to say they were in Praia da Luz at the time. All of this information has obviously produced a very large volume of work for the Operation Grange team to work through.
The response has also had a huge impact in Portugal, where enough new evidence was uncovered last month for authorities there to consider reopening the case.
DCI Redwood went on to say:
I have been in Faro this week working with police colleagues, and I know the appeal generated a large number of calls to the Portuguese police also.
I'd like to thank the media and the public for their continued assistance in this challenging enquiry.
The McCanns have described new reports about a man Portuguese police allegedly suspect kidnapped Madeleine as "pure speculation".
The 40-year-old had been fired from the Ocean Club holiday complex in Praia de Luz where the McCanns were staying when their daughter disappeared on May 3, 2007, and may have been seeking revenge, Portuguese daily Correio da Manha said.
He died in a tractor accident in 2009 but police have interviewed his widow as part of their new investigation, according to the newspaper.
Clarence Mitchell, who represents Kate and Gerry McCann, said: "We are aware of reports in the Portuguese press.
"They are pure speculation and the McCanns are not going to give a running commentary on every new report."
The former hotel employee who Portuguese police are investigating over Madeleine McCann's kidnapping could have snatched her out of revenge after being sacked, newspaper Correio da Manha reported.
The 40-year-old died in a tractor accident in 2009 - two years after Madeleine went missing - and police have already questioned his widow, the paper said.
He was identified as the Portuguese police's main suspect after they reportedly discovered from tests on his mobile phone that he was near the holiday apartment in Praia de Luz when she went missing.
The flat the McCanns were staying in is a 15 minute drive to the town of Lagos where the suspect was living at the time after he stopped working at the Ocean Club.
Portuguese police are now said to be searching for her body in the belief he may have killed her, the paper adds.
A source close to Madeleine McCann's parents has told ITV News that they are "aware" Portuguese police are investigating the possibility a former employee at the hotel in Praia de Luz where the family were staying may have kidnapped her.
It is understood the 40-year-old man died in a tractor accident in 2009 - two years after Madeleine disappeared.