Met Police want to speak to a number of men about a large number phone calls they made in the area on the night the child vanished.
The Portuguese inquiry into the disappearance of Madeleine McCann has been reopened amid new leads in the case.
Six years on from her disappearance, Portuguese police are set to re-open the case into missing Leicestershire girl Madeleine McCann.
The Home Secretary said she welcomed the news that Portuguese police would re-open the case in to the disappearance of Madeleine McCann.
Theresa May said: "I welcome the developments that have taken place and the work the Metropolitan Police are doing with the Portuguese police on this case. I hope that what we're going to see is a resolution to this case for the sake of Maddie's parents and family."
The parents of Madeleine McCann believe it would be an "important step forward" if Portuguese police reopened the investigation into the disappearance of their daughter.
A spokesman for the couple told the Daily Mirror: “Kate and Gerry don’t want to get their hopes up too much. But if the Portuguese do resume their investigation it would be a significant development and an important step forward.”
Earlier this month, detectives searching for Madeleine McCann ruled out the key sighting that underpinned the original Portuguese investigation and released e-fit images of a different man they wish to speak to who was seen carrying a child on the night she went missing.
Thousands of calls have been made to police in both the UK and across Europe following the recent appeal.
ITV News understands Portuguese police may be about to re-open the investigation into the disappearance of Madeleine McCann.
It is understood a review team, created in March 2012 and involving 37 Portuguese officers, have found two or three new details, which warrant further investigation.
Portuguese police are yet to confirm or deny the reports. Kate and Gerry McCann have always said they would welcome the formal re-opening of the investigation in Portugal.
Detectives investigating the disappearance of Madeleine McCann say they have received more than 2,400 calls since programmes launching a new appeal were aired across Europe.
Scotland Yard officers launched a renewed case on Crimewatch earlier this week before travelling to both Holland and Germany along with Madeleine's parents Kate and Gerry McCann.
New e-fits were shown of people they wish to speak to in relation to the disappearance in 2007.
Detectives investigating the disappearance of Madeleine McCann have received another 150 calls after a fresh appeal for information was aired on Dutch television.
An appeal was broadcast last night in The Netherlands on a programme called Opsporing Verzocht, and will feature on the German programme Aktenzeichen XY...ungelost tonight.
British police have already received hundreds of calls and emails after a refreshed appeal was aired on the BBC's Crimewatch on Monday night.
Scotland Yard said yesterday they had received more than 730 calls and 212 emails after the broadcast, and Madeleine's parents Kate and Gerry McCann said they are "genuinely hopeful" that a breakthrough could be possible.
The latest appeal for information about the disappearance of Madeleine McCann will be shown on German television tonight.
It will include the new e-fit images of two men spotted near the scene of her disappearance, who detectives believe may be German.
Television station ZDF will show a reconstruction of the events on the night in May 2007 when Madeleine went missing in Praia da Luz in Portugal.
It will be aired on the 'Aktenzeichen XY - Ungeloest' show, which is translated as "File XY - Unsolved". It was also include an appeal from parents Kate and Gerry McCann.
Gerry and Kate McCann have said they are "absolutely delighted with the overwhelming public response" to a BBC Crimewatch appeal, which was broadcast last night.
“We know that the public desperately want to help the search for Madeleine," they said in a statement.
"We are genuinely hopeful that one or more of these responses will lead to a major breakthrough in the investigation.
They added: "If anyone was in Praia da Luz around the time of Madeleine’s abduction and has not spoken to the Metropolitan Police, or if they know who any of the e-fits might be, please have the courage to come forward and speak to the police in confidence.”
German television station ZDF will stage a reconstruction of the events of the night of May 3, 2007 when Madeleine McCann disappeared from the room in which she was sleeping in Prais de Luz.
The fresh appeal follow's last night's Crimewatch appeal for new witnesses to come forward.
A special edition of the crime programme Aktenzeichen XY - Ungeloest which is translated as "File XY - Unsolved", will be aired on Wednesday night and will feature an appeal for information from Kate and Gerry McCann.
Police investigating the disappearance of Madeleine McCann have received nearly 1,000 calls and emails in response to a fresh appeal for information.
There have been more than 730 calls and 212 emails as a result of "specific lines of inquiry" about the events leading up to and surrounding Madeleine's abduction in Portugal on May 3 2007, Scotland Yard said.
Senior investigating officer Detective Chief Inspector Andy Redwood said detectives are working through the calls and material generated by Monday night's BBC Crimewatch programme.