A school in Worcestershire which was forced to close after a suspected outbreak of Norovirus is due to reopen today.
70 students and staff became ill last week at the Birchensale Middle School in Redditch.
The building has had a large scale clean over the weekend.
A school in Redditch has been closed following an outbreak of the winter norovirus which has affected more than 70 pupils and several members of staff.
Birchensale Middle School on Bridley Moor Road is closed while a deep clean of the premises is carried out.
It is expected to re-open on Monday following discussions between the school and Redditch Borough Council.
This decision has been taken due to an outbreak of diarrhoea and vomiting in the community, which has affected the school. This decision has been made with the local authority....
The health and safety of our staff and pupils continue to be of the utmost importance.
Parents have been issued with advice to help reduce the spread of infection.
Symptoms of the norovirus include diarrhoea and vomiting.
An outbreak of Norovirus has been confirmed on four wards at New Cross Hospital in Wolverhampton.
One of the wards is closed to new patients. The movement of staff and patients currently on the ward have been restricted to prevent further spread of the Norovirus.
None of the patients are seriously unwell from the outbreak. Some staff have been affected and have been excluded from work until they are well.
There have been Norovirus outbreaks and cases reported in the community.
We hope that the early detection and our actions will prevent spread to other wards. Scrupulous hand hygiene by all staff and visitors and a high level of environmental cleanliness are the essential measures for controlling this bug.
We have restricted the times of visiting and the number of visitors patients will be allowed to have on the affected wards, as this is a highly contagious disease. We hope that patients, relatives and carers understand the reasons for this restriction. Any visitors must decontaminate their hands properly before they leave the ward.
Tracy Gill, the HR manager at Domestic and General on how staff in Nottingham are being made aware of the norovirus.
Staff at the Nottingham CityCare Partnership have urged people to maintain good standards of cleanliness ahead of a new awareness campaign that aims to prevent winter vomiting bug Norovirus. Sarah Kirkwood, who is Director of Operations Nursing, spoke to ITV News Central about preventing the bug.
A campaign to tackle the spread of Norovirus has been launched in Nottingham.
Each year, the virus costs the NHS £100million a year, and affects thousands of people, but simple steps like cleaning surfaces and washing hands can stop the spread.
Domestic and General is one business in Nottingham that is making its staff aware of the campaign.
- Always wash hands thoroughly with soap and warm water - particularly after going to the toilet, before preparing or eating food, and after changing a baby's nappy
- Do not use dirty cutlery
- Do not allow raw food to come into contact with cooked food
- Ensure all food is thoroughly cooked, especially meat and shellfish
- Avoid contact with anyone suffering from the virus for two to three days after they are completely free of symptoms
Norovirus is highly contagious and can be contracted in a number of ways:
- Direct contact with people who have the virus
- Touching contaminated objects
- Touching dirty or unwashed objects
- Raw or undercooked food, especially meat and shellfish
Health workers in Nottingham are hoping to stop winter vomiting bug Norovirus in its tracks this year with a major new awareness campaign.
Staff at the Nottingham CityCare Partnership will be issuing information about how the bug is caught, how to prevent it, and what to do when you have it.
Norovirus is highly contagious and puts the NHS under great strain during the winter months.
Not only does it involve more people going into hospital, it often means wards have to be closed to admissions and visitors to try to control the spread.
An outbreak of a winter vomiting bug has forced Grantham and District Hospital to restrict admissions to its wards.
The decision was taken after patients began experiencing winter norovirus symptoms.
A spokesman said the measure was "a precaution to prevent further spread of the virus" and the hospital remained open.
Patients in the affected wards are being moved elsewhere on the site.