Live updates

Advertisement

New blood donor centre opens in Nottingham

One thousand new blood donors are needed Credit: ITV News

A new blood donor centre is being officially launched in Nottingham today, in the hope of recruiting one thousand more donors.

NHS Blood and Transplant hope members of Nottingham's Black, Asian and Minority Ethinic communities will come forward to fill the urgent demand for minority blood donors.

To find out more information on how to give blood, head to the NHS UK website.

Restaurant owners fined £10k for hygiene offences

A Nottingham restaurant has been landed with a legal bill of almost £10,000 Credit: Lewis Stickley/PA Archive/Press Association Images

A Nottingham restaurant has been landed with a legal bill of almost £10,000 after environmental health inspectors reported hygiene breaches.

The owners of the Mei Shan restaurant on Alfreton Road pleaded guilty to three breaches hygiene regulations at Nottingham Magistrates Court yesterday. They have been fined £7,000 and £2,500 in costs.

The restaurant was inspected by Environmental Health Officers on September 9.

Inspectors found that the restaurant was dirty, equipment was also dirty - particularly the meat slicer. They also discovered that the yard had open containers of food and oil - it was described as 'filthy'.

The owners Mrs Hong Wei Zhang and husband Mr Hang Lu have previously been issued with a caution in 2011, which they accepted.

“There is no excuse for food businesses not to do a good job and keep the kitchen clean and handle food safely.

Given the previous warnings about poor standards at this restaurant my team had to take this prosecution action to protect the public.

“Most businesses work hard with my team to improve hygiene standards but this shows that some traders ignore the basic rules that should protect their customers.”

– Paul Dales, City Operations Manager for Food and Health & Safety

Paul Dales, City Operations Manager for Food and Health & Safety, said: “There is no excuse for food businesses not to do a good job and keep the kitchen clean and handle food safely. Given the previous warnings about poor standards at this restaurant my team had to take this prosecution action to protect the public.

“Most businesses work hard with my team to improve hygiene standards but this shows that some traders ignore the basic rules that should protect their customers.”

Councillor Nicola Heaton, portfolio holder for Community Safety, said: “Our team in Nottingham work hard to make sure that food businesses in the city meet hygiene regulations. Food standards and regulations are there for a reason, and we don’t take lightly the impact poor standards could have on our citizens.”

Advertisement

Woman who helped fellow students after fire rewarded

A student who has helped raise money for students affected by the Radford fire in Nottingham has been presented with a cheque for £1,500.

Shahin Munir (right) received a cheque for £1,500 Credit: Shahin Munir

Shahin Munir was given the cheque by an organisation called IMPAC - some of whose members used to work at the building when it was a cigarette factory. It will be added to the funds that Shahin has already raised to help her peers since the blaze.

The fire engulfed the former factory - which had been turned into a student accommodation block - at the end of March.

The blaze engulfed the former factory at the end of March Credit: ITV News Central
Load more updates