Live updates

Thief avoids jail after stealing wallet and phone from fatally injured man

Morgan Hehir was stabbed to death in Nuneaton last Halloween

A thief stole a wallet and mobile phone from a man who had been fatally attacked on Halloween, police said.

Miroslav Holan, of Oak Lane, Bradford, avoided jail after pleading guilty to taking the items from 20-year-old Morgan Hehir in Nuneaton.

The 23-year-old took the items at around 9.15pm, shortly after Mr Hehir was attacked at Pool Bank Recreational Park.

He died in hospital overnight. Separate court proceedings in connection with the death are under way, police said.

Holan was sentenced to 18 weeks in prison, reduced to 12 weeks suspended for 12 months with a condition that he attends 35 days of rehabilitation activities. Police said he was also ordered to pay £135 in costs and a surcharge of £80 after appearing at Warwickshire Magistrates' Court.

This individual took advantage of a man who has been fatally injured in order to steal his phone and wallet. This act has caused further distress to Morgan's family, particularly as Morgan's phone would have contained irreplaceable photographs and memories. These items were never recovered."

– Detective Sergeant Andy Denny

Road closed in Nuneaton after reports of hand grenade

The road has been cordoned off Credit: PA

A road in Nuneaton has been closed since early this morning after police were informed that a hand grenade had been found.

Officers were alerted to the discovery of the device near the doctor's surgery on Riversley Road shortly before 6.50am this morning.

Bomb disposal experts from Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) have been informed.

The device is not believed to be a danger to the public, but a 100m cordon has been established around the surgery to ensure public safety.

The A444 Coton Road is affected, so motorists are advised to take alternative routes.

Advertisement

Man arrested over Nuneaton body released on bail

Police cars at the scene Credit: ITV News Central

A 28 year old man who was arrested in connection with the death of a man in Nuneaton has been released on conditional bail pending further enquiries.

He was initially arrested on suspicion of assault and then further arrested for manslaughter.

The body of a man believed to be in his seventies was found at an address on Tudor Road, at approximately 10.20pm on Friday. He is due to be formally identified this afternoon.

Police investigations continue at the scene.

Advertisement

Police appeal after train conductor attacked

Transport police investigating the assault of an on-duty train conductor in Nuneaton have released CCTV of a man they'd like to speak to in connection with the attack.

Police have released CCTV of a man they'd like to speak to in connection with the assault Credit: British Transport Police

The conductor was working on a London Midland Crewe to London service on December 30 when he was attacked after asking to see a passenger's ticket, police say.

“Nobody should be treated this way simply for doing their job and this sort of aggressive behaviour will not be tolerated on the rail network."

– PC Carl Johnson, Britsh Transport Police

Anyone with information about the incident can call BTP on 0800 40 50 40 or text us on 61016 quoting reference M/B8 of 15/01.

Load more updates