Live updates

Derby woman jailed for continuing police nuisance calls

A woman who received a suspended sentence for making hundreds of nuisance calls to police has been jailed for 28 weeks after refusing to stop.

21-year-old Irene Power of Elmtree Avenue, Derby, admitted harassment and wasting police time after calling 999 more than 500 times between October 13 and December 22.

On one day alone, Saturday, November 9, she made 188 calls. During this time, police were dealing with three vulnerable missing people, two serious assaults and a serious collision.

Police search for man who started brawl over Eggnog

Police have released images of a man they wish to identify after he started a brawl in a Birmingham shop over a carton of Eggnog.

Police are looking for this man Credit: West Midlands Police

The incident occurred at the A-Z Bargain shop on Soho Road on December 3. CCTV footage released by police shows the man throwing punches during the brawl.

A second man was arrested at the time and is currently on bail.

Advertisement

Eggnog thief search - police release CCTV footage

Police have released CCTV footage of a brawl in a Birmingham shop that started after a man tried to steal a carton of Eggnog.

The man is shown struggling with staff and throwing punches at A-Z Bargain on Soho Road, Birmingham, on 3 December, but he managed to leave the venue before police arrived.

During the scuffle the man's cap is knocked from his head and his face is revealed to the camera, but he has not yet been identified.

A second man was arrested at the time and is currently on bail.

Sports Direct baby birth: Mother questioned

Police in Derbyshire are continuing to question a 28-year-old woman arrested on suspicion of wilful neglect.

It is in connection with the birth of a baby boy in an area around Sports Direct Warehouse in Shirebrook in Derbyshire.

A Sports Direct warehouse in Shirebrook Credit: ITV News Central

The baby is being treated at a neo-natal unit and making good progress, according to Derbyshire Constabulary.

Calls for joint task-force in Madeleine McCann case

Metropolitan Police Commissioner, Sir Bernard Hogan-Howe, has suggested British and Portuguese police should join together as a team, in order to establish exactly what happened to missing Madeleine McCann.

After Portuguese authorities admitted last month there was enough new information to justify reopening the case, after shelving their own inquiry back in 2008, Commissioner Hogan-Howe said:

One thing we'd like to see in the future is a joint investigation team which comes under the European community. It is a possibility legally and we're working together at a political level, at a police and judicial level, to see how we can construct that...

...So that's what we're trying to get; an agreement between the two governments and the two police services.

Public respond in thousands to McCann appeal

The public have responded in their thousands to the recent television appeals concerning the disappearance of Madeleine McCann.

Detective Chief Inspector Andy Redwood, a senior investigator in the case, said numerous people present in Praia da Luz at the time she went missing have come forward.

Speaking on BBC's Crimewatch programme, he said:

The media appeals produced a fantastic response from the public in all three countries, with a total of 3,500 calls and messages in the UK, 850 in Germany and 650 in Holland...

...Lots of people have called to say they were in Praia da Luz at the time. All of this information has obviously produced a very large volume of work for the Operation Grange team to work through.

The response has also had a huge impact in Portugal, where enough new evidence was uncovered last month for authorities there to consider reopening the case.

DCI Redwood went on to say:

I have been in Faro this week working with police colleagues, and I know the appeal generated a large number of calls to the Portuguese police also.

I'd like to thank the media and the public for their continued assistance in this challenging enquiry.

Advertisement

Detectives hunt for stolen £250,000 diamond

Detectives have asked members of the jewellery trade to help them hunt down a £250,000 diamond which was stolen in a robbery in Nottinghamshire.

The gem, set in a solitaire ring, was stolen from a couple while they were in the garden of their home in Nuthall in July.

Originally bought in the Hatton Garden area of London, the 10.34 carat diamond has a round brilliant cut, is a G colour and has a clarity of VS2.

At least two men were involved in the robbery. They escaped in a BMW and also took a Fendi watch.

Anyone with information about the gem, or who has been offered it for sale, is urged to contact Nottinghamshire Police.

Six people have been arrested in connection with the robbery and are on police bail.

National

People urged to ignore clowns after sightings in Norfolk

A spate of clown sightings in Norfolk has led to police urging members of the public to ignore the pranksters.

Norfolk Police received reports of three clown sightings over two days this week - one wore a "full outfit" with a red suit and red hair. In both cases, the callers reported being alarmed and then chased a short way up the road but no one had been assaulted or injured.

The sightings in Norfolk follow the so-called Northampton Clown. Credit: Northampton's Clown Facebook page

Superintendent Carl Edwards said: "Firstly I'd like to stress that it isn't against the law to dress up as a clown.

"Nobody has been assaulted and it appears that the people involved are waiting for a passer-by to be startled by their appearance and run away, and then the clown runs after them for a short distance."

"We appreciate this can worry people, especially the young or elderly. The most effective way to behave if you are to see someone dressed up is to give no reaction - because that's what they are after," he added.

These sightings in Norfolk follows recent reports of the circus characters scaring members of the public in Northampton.

Read: Northampton Clown says act is 'a bit of fun'

Detective appeals for toddler death information

This is such a sad case; Mariam was shown on CCTV with her mum in the local Lidl supermarket at 1pm on the afternoon of 30 November 2011 but 20 minutes later she’d suffered fatal head injuries.

Although three people have been charged in connection with her death we are still actively investigating and desperately want to hear from anyone who could help.

I’m keen to understand where Miriam was, what she was doing and who she was with, in the minutes between leaving Lidl and becoming critically ill.

– Detective Inspector Chris Hanson

Police determined to find information over toddler's death

The lead investigator into a case concerning the death of a toddler in Coventry said he is determined to find out what happened to the three-year-old.

Detective Inspector Chris Hanson is urging anyone with information about Mariam Alam's death to contact him.

The supermarket camera footage – which is available on the force’s YouTube channel – shows Mariam wearing a red flowery dress, white tights and a pink coat walking in front of her mother as they enter Lidl in John Wigley Way at 1pm.

They can be seen leaving five minutes later – but at around 1.20pm paramedics were called to the address in Fisher Road after the child collapsed. Despite the best efforts of medics, the toddler couldn’t be saved.

Load more updates

Advertisement

Today's top stories