Live updates

Elderly driver's lucky escape from car crash

The man's car after the crash Credit: West Midlands Ambulance Service

An elderly driver had a lucky escape today, when his car crashed into a lorry in Shirley.

Paramedics were called to Olton Road at noon, and found that an off-duty paramedic had already stopped to help.

The driver of the car - a man in his late eighties - had managed to get out of the car. He was suffering from chest pain and superficial cuts. He was taken to Heartlands Hospital for treatment.

The lorry driver was uninjured.


Elderly woman critically injured in hit and run

Stratford Road in Shirley, where the accident happened Credit: Google Maps

An elderly woman is in a critical condition after having been hit by a car this morning.

The woman in her 90s was hit on Stratford Road in Shirley, near Solihull, at 11:45am today. The car then drove off.

An ambulance, a rapid response vehicle, a paramedic officer and an Air Ambulance were sent to the scene.

Paramedics arrived to find the woman lying in the road, being cared for by an off-duty nurse.

She had suffered serious head, ankle, and knee injuries. She has been taken to Queen Elizabeth Hospital Major Trauma Unit by ambulance.

"Witnesses report seeing a large silver-coloured people carrier in the area at the time the woman was struck. The car then left the scene and headed in the direction of the M42.

"We have spoken to a number of people who saw what happened and CCTV footage which may have captured the incident on camera is being reviewed. All officers have been alerted and are on the lookout for the car.

"One lane of Stratford Road remains closed this afternoon while specialist collision reconstruction staff examine the scene."

– PC Adam Green, from the Collision Investigation Unit

The woman received emergency treatment at the scene by medics and her condition was stabilised. The woman was then transferred by land ambulance to Queen Elizabeth Hospital Major Trauma Unit for further emergency treatment. The hospital had been pre alerted to the woman’s arrival and her serious condition. Unfortunately, the woman injuries were described as life threatening.

– West Midlands Ambulance Service

54-year-old man missing from Shirley

Police are appealing for help in finding a 54-year-old man who has been missing since Friday morning.

Christopher Parry was last seen leaving a flat on Stratford Road in Shirley.

He was reported missing yesterday morning when he failed to return home from a job interview in Worcester.

Christopher Parry Credit: West Midlands Police

To disappear like this is out of character for Christopher and we, like his family and friends, are concerned for his welfare.

From our initial inquiries it appears that on the day he went missing Christopher had a job interview at 9am in Worcester. It is thought that he travelled by train from Shirley railway station for the meeting.

There is also a suggestion that he may be staying at a hotel in the city. We're working hard to substantiate that information and would urge Worcester hoteliers to contact us immediately if Christopher Parry or anyone matching his description has checked in with them.

– Inspector Adrian Taylor, Solihull Police

Christopher Parry is described as white, 6'2 tall and broad. He has brown eyes and short grey-white hair. He has contacts in Colchester, Essex.

At the time of his disappearance it is believed that he was wearing a dark suit.


Appeal after man's teeth knocked out in Solihull

CCTV images have been released of two people after a man had his teeth knocked out during an attack in a park.

The attack happened in July. Credit: West Midlands Police

Police say the 69-year-old was walking his dog in Shirley Park at around 9:45am on 9 July.

A man punched the dog walker in the face, causing him to lose four of his front teeth.

"We have carried out numerous inquiries in the area, including a CCTV trawl, and we have come across this image of two people who we are keen to identify."

– Detective Constable Ruth Morris

Officers welcome sentence of fraudster sisters

A senior police officer has welcomed the sentencing of two sisters who returned to their money-laundering ways just weeks after being released from prison.

Det Sgt Derek Tinsley, from West Midlands Police's regional asset recovery team, said the behaviour of Bo and Yam Li showed their lack of remorse.

It took just three weeks for the Li sisters to return to their criminal lifestyle and to try and use their dirty cash.

They clearly have no remorse for the way in which they obtained this money and wasted no time in trying to spend it on their release from prison.

We will probably never know where the money was hidden for the last few years but we are convinced it was kept from the original people trafficking operation and other related crime.

I hope this serves as a reminder to those who seek to profit from the misery of others that we will pursue them relentlessly, regardless of the passage of time and we will always take action to put ill-gotten cash back into the public purse.

Crime simply does not pay.

– DS Derek Tinsley, West Midlands Police

How police tracked down hidden dirty money

Police began to have suspicions about fraudster sister Bo and Yan Li when they were caught using £20 notes which went out of circulation in 2010 - while they were still in prison.

Bo, aged 46, and Yan, 43, had been jailed for money laundering cash from the human trafficking operation which led to the death of 21 cockle pickers in Morecambe Bay in 2004.

The packages of dirty money Credit: West Midlands Police

Before officers had chance to search their hotel room in Chippenham, however, Yan Li's 64-year-old boyfriend Philip Freeman took £22,000.

Together with Bo Li's 65-year-old boyfriend John Bowkett, hid it by burying it in Bowkett's back garden.

Freeman was caught on CCTV taking the money (left); and some of the cash discovered buried in Bowkett's garden (right) Credit: West Midlands Police

All four were charged with money laundering.

The sisters were jailed for two years each, while Freeman was given a four-month jail sentence suspended for one year, and Bowkett was given a six month community order.

Both men were also ordered to pay £10,000 in court costs each.

Cockle-picking tragedy fraudsters back behind bars

Two convicted money launderers who hid cash raked in from the human trafficking operation which killed 21 cockle pickers almost a decade ago have been sent back to prison.

Sisters Bo and Yan Li, who worked from addresses in Shirley and Dudley, were jailed in 2009 for their part in the tragic scam, which earned them an estimated £1.07million.

Bo Li (left) and Yan Li are now back behind bars Credit: West Midlands Police

They were ordered to pay back the sum - but a court heard they managed to hide more than £22,000 of their dirty money, which they tried to spend within weeks of being released.

The original charges related to the death of 21 Chinese cockle pickers who died while working illegally in Morecambe Bay in 2004. They had been trapped by the incoming tide and drowned.

The pair were jailed for two years each at Birmingham Crown Court yesterday.