Mandy Rice-Davies, a key figure in the 1963 Profumo affair, has died aged 70 after a short battle with cancer, her publicist said today.
It is with deep sadness that the family of Marilyn Foreman, also known as Mandy Rice-Davies, have confirmed that she passed away yesterday evening after a short battle with cancer. They have asked for their privacy to be respected and no further comment will be made.
The former model and showgirl was a friend of Christine Keeler, whose affair with former government minister John Profumo in the early 1960s almost brought down the then-ruling Conservative government.
Rice-Davies, who was born near Llanelli and grew up in Solihull, became famous for a comment she made at the trial of Stephen Ward, who was accused of living off her and Keeler's "immoral earnings."
When prosecutors told her that Lord Astor denied an affair with her, she replied, "He would, wouldn't he?" - often misquoted as "Well he would say that, wouldn't he?".
A twenty-three year old man is due to appear in court charged with the murders of his parents in Solihull earlier this year.
Carl Chang was arrested after the bodies of fifty-eight year old Pin Chang and fifty-year-old Quoi Chang were found at their house in Hermitage Road on the seventh of July.
300 permanent new jobs could be created if a proposed new motorway service area on the M42 is built, according to the Extra Motorway Service Area Group.
Plans for the £65 million investment near Solihull have been unveiled.
It would be located to the west of the M42 and south of Solihull Road, near to Birmingham Airport.
If planning permission is granted, work could begin in early 2016.
Police have released an artist's impression of a man suspected of trying to abduct a 16-year-old girl.Read the full story ›
Police have issued a warning to parents after allegations a 61-year-old man tried to lure a 16-year-old girl into his car on her way home.Read the full story ›
Two men wanted in connection with a spate of poppy tin thefts in Solihull have been identified within an hour of a police social media appeal.
One man has been arrested and a second man is still being hunted by police.
Police received several calls from members of the public after they circulated CCTV footage of the suspected thieves on social media.
The appeal was launched as part of an investigation into seven thefts in Knowle, Meriden and Balsall Common, after businesses reported that charity boxes had been swiped from their countertops during the last week of October.
We have already arrested a 21-year-old man from an address in Seashell Close, Coventry, this afternoon over the offences and we are actively trying to find a second man. I would like to thank all those who shared the appeal to trace the men and also, those who called in with the information. These thefts ? which are totally unjustifiable and deplorable ? are being fully investigated and we will keep the community updated with the progress of our inquiries.
Two men who tricked a pensioner out of his bank card and then went shopping for designer jeans have been sentenced in court.
Zain Hussain and Mohammed Hussain were arrested at True Religion in the Birmingham's Bullring on March 4, when staff told police the pair were trying to use a suspicious card.
Officers soon discovered it had been taken from an 89-year-old man who had fallen victim to 'courier fraud' at his home in Solihull.
He’d been cold-called by someone claiming to be a police officer, who used a story to convince him to hand his card over to a courier who arrived at his house to collect it.
A police investigation showed this was not the first time they’d used stolen property to pay for designer clothes.
The 19-year-olds were linked to the purchase of almost a thousand pounds’ worth of jeans from the same shop in February. They'd bought the trousers after stealing a bank card from an 82-year-old Solihull woman.
The duo then bought a pair of Nike trainers for £230 using another card, this time stolen from an 85-year-old woman.
There was never enough evidence linking them to the original thefts, but both were charged with fraud offences for having and using the victims’ cards.
They were jointly charged with three counts of handling stolen goods and three counts of fraud by false representation, which both admitted at earlier hearings at Birmingham Crown Court.
Zain Hussain, of Woodall Road, Aston, was yesterday handed a 15-month sentence, while Mohammed Hussain, of Holte Road, Aston, received a 12-month community order.
"Courier fraud is big business for organised criminals who don’t think twice about exploiting the most vulnerable members of society and I hope today’s sentencing sends out a strong message to those who orchestrate the scam."
A controversial application for a Muslim cemetery in a village in Solihull will be discussed by the Borough Council's Planning Committee today.
Campaigners oppose the 4,000-plot scheme at Catherine-de-Barnes, because it would be built on green belt land. The application is expected to be refused.
Good news - Connor Kells aged 13, missing since Oct 23, has been found safe and well, thanks for all your support
A 13-year-old boy from Solihull has been missing for two days and there are growing concerns for his welfare.
Connor Kells was last seen at home on Cropthorne Road at around 10am on Thursday 23 October and was spotted near a chip shop in Bordesley Green Road later that night.
The 13-year-old is described as white, 5ft 6ins tall, dark brown hair and brown eyes.
With every passing hour we are becoming increasingly concerned for Connor and we want to make sure he is safe and well.
We would ask anyone who has seen him to get in touch with us as soon as they can. I would also appeal directly to Connor to get in touch and let us know he is okay.