A retired senior army officer has claimed authorities knew British troops in Iraq were at increased risk, before two soldiers from Solihull and Swadlincote were killed by a 400 strong mob.
Six soldiers, including Lance Corporal Thomas Keys from Solihull, and Corporal Russell Aston from Swadlincote, died in 2003 when the mob attacked a police station.
The source, described as reliable, also alleged the incident was part of a series backed by Iran. The MOD has been asked to investigate the claim.
The MOD has said:
"It is impossible to place reliance on information attributed to an unnamed individual. However, if anyone has any new information about the events in question, we would encourage them to submit it to the MoD."
The family of a Derbyshire soldier who was killed by an Iraqi mob are planning to bring a Human Rights case against the Ministry of Defence.
The families hope that legal action will lead to an inquiry into the deaths.
Cpl. Russell Aston, from Swadlincote in Derbyshire, died in one of the most hostile regions of Iraq in 2003 alongside three soldiers and two military police officers.
Mike Aston, Cpl Aston's father, called for justice for his son saying:
What we want is for people who were culpable in this to answer our questions.
We want justice. They weren't killed in action, it was murder.
The move comes after families of British soldiers killed and injured fighting in Iraq were given the go-ahead earlier this year to bring compensation claims against the Government.
An MoD spokesperson said:
Our thoughts remain with the families of those killed in this terrible incident.
However, the circumstances have been investigated extensively and reported on and no practical purpose would be served by holding a public inquiry.
The families of two Army Red Caps from Swadlincote, Derbyshire, and Solihull killed by an Iraqi mob are to bring a human rights act claim against the Ministry of Defence (MoD).
Lance Corporal Thomas Key, 20, and Corporal Russell Aston, 30, were killed when 400 people attacked a police station in Majar al-Kabir in Iraq in June 2003.
The families hope their legal action against the MoD will trigger a public inquiry into the deaths, having said they were dissatisfied with both the inquests and board of inquiry investigation which followed the deaths.
Two families of Army Red Caps killed by an Iraqi mob, are to sue the Ministry of Defence for negligence. Corporal Russell Aston from Swadlincote in Derbyshire and Lance Corporal Thomas Keys from Solihull were killed alongside four other Royal Military Police officers.
The case which is the first of its kind, follows a judgement by the Supreme Court last month which ruled that soldiers at war are covered by human rights laws and are owed a duty of care. Kate Fisher reports.
Our thoughts remain with the families of those who lost their lives in this incident and it is a matter of deep regret that the perpetrators of these appalling murders have not been brought to justice. We believe that the circumstances in which they took place have been as fully investigated. It would be inappropriate to comment further, ahead of any forthcoming legal proceedings.
Two Midlands families of Army Red Caps killed by an Iraqi mob are suing the Ministry of Defence for negligence.
Corporal Russell Aston from Swadlincote in Derbyshire and Lance Corporal Thomas Keys from Solihull were killed alongside four other Royal Military Police officers when more than 400 Iraqis stormed a police station where they were helping to train locals.
The legal action follows a landmark judgement by the Supreme Court last month, which ruled that soldiers at war in foreign lands are covered by human rights laws and are owed a duty of care.
Rainbow Waste based in Swadlincote, Derbyshire, has released this statement following the death of an employee.
Rainbow Waste can confirm that an employee has died following an accident at the company's Swadlincote premises on the morning of Friday 7th June 2013. Rainbow Waste is working with the relevant authorities, including the Health and Safety Executive, to investigate the incident. The company has been in touch with the employee's family to express its deepest condolences to his friends and family.
At this difficult time our thoughts are obviously with his family and work colleagues. All those involved in the incident have been offered counselling. Rainbow Waste takes its Health & Safety obligations very seriously. The events leading up to the incident are now a matter for investigation by ourselves, the Police, and the Health & Safety Executive and it would be inappropriate for us to comment further whilst the investigation is ongoing.
A Derbyshire Police spokesperson says:
A 24-year-old male taken from the scene of the incident in Grobian Way, Swadlincote, has now unfortunately died in hospital as a result of his injuries. Officers from Derbyshire Police are now assisting the HSE and South Derbyshire Coroner in investigating the full circumstances of this tragic accident.