Concerns have been raised over potentially dangerous eyebrow razors being bought online from China, after a fourteen year old girl from Derby needed stitches after using them.
The 'Tinkle' Eyebrow Razors were tested by trading standards experts and found to be unsafe.
The razors failed the ‘sharp edges test’ and didn't have a safety guard on the blade to prevent injury, according to the Derby Trading Standards investigation.
Although it can be hard to distinguish between safe and unsafe eyebrow razors, the photo shows the differences between the product which failed testing (right), and the safety approved product (left).
The most obvious difference on the packaging is the lettering on the bottom right. The razors with safety guards have the letters DORCO whereas the razors without the safety guard are marked with DORCC. On the unsafe products themselves, they lack the stainless steel safety guard as stated on the packaging.
Nottingham City Council’s trading standards team is warning parents about the potential dangers of gel tablets used to wash laundry.Read the full story ›
Fake alcohol could put lives at risk over the festive season, local councils are warning.Read the full story ›
From poisonous dolls to fake 'Frozen' bracelets, this year we've seen a number of items that pose a risk to health. Here's a look at five.Read the full story ›
Trading standards officers will be at Bescot Market in Walsall today hunting for dolls on sale, which contain chemicals linked to cancer, birth defects and infertility in men.
Officers first received complaints about these products early in 2013 and visited traders to ensure they were taken off sale. But they now fear that they were available to buy at the market last weekend.
The dolls have distinctive fruit shaped heads but Trading Standards Officers are also concerned about similar soft dolls wearing animal outfits or in a "crawling" pose wearing polka dot dresses.
Walsall Council are calling for action to be taken over the potentially dangerous ‘fruit headed’ dolls which have been on sale in the Midlands.
A cabinet member said the council would be writing to to the EU and to the Chinese Government.
As we have said, we don’t want to spoil any child’s happiness which is why their safety is paramount to us.
Young children tend to bite and chew and if they do so with these dolls their health could be put at risk.
We have acted on reports that the ‘fruit headed’ dolls are potentially dangerous and have followed up reports that they are on sale to ensure they have been taken off sale.
We would now like to go a step further and will be writing to the EU and to the Chinese Government to express our wish for action to be taken to ensure this product is not put on sale again.
There's a warning tonight that children in the Midlands may have been given Christmas presents that contain a dangerous chemical.
It's been used to make a variety of dolls in China, and is said to be linked to cancer and birth defects if swallowed. ITV News Central correspondent Keith Wilkinson reports.
ITV News Central has seen some similar dolls to those being recalled by Trading Standards being sold online.
eBay says it follows local government legislation and does not permit the sale of ' illegal items.'
Yesterday it appeared similar looking dolls were being offered for sale through Amazon.
But Amazon say they are not available through them.
A web page we saw on the morning of December 30 has since been taken down.
Dr Ian Campbell, a GP in Nottingham, says that parents should take toys off children if they fear they could be the ones containing potentially poisonous plastics.
Trading Standards are warning about health risks about certain types of toy which have reportedly been on sale all over the country.
A GP from Nottingham has said it is "unacceptable" that a poisonous chemical has been found in toy dolls on sale in shops in the Midlands.
Dr Ian Campbell said: "I'm very concerned because there is no safe level of this chemical and we know that it causes problems with cancer, problems with sperm count with adult males and problems with the liver and kidneys.
"It's is unacceptable that children have been exposed to this chemical in this way."