Anelka's damaging lack of judgement

West Bromwich's Nicolas Anelka has shown a damaging lack of judgement by using the "quenelle" gesture and could face an eight-match ban.

Live updates

Anelka defends 'Quenelle' gesture

Anelka was banned and fined for this gesture
Anelka was banned and fined for this gesture Credit: Mike Egerton/EMPICS Sport

Nicolas Anelka has come out to defend himself and deny he is anti-Semitic.

The French striker was handed a five-match ban and fined by the FA for the 'quenelle' goal celebration after scoring for West Bromwich Albion against West Ham on December 28.

The pose has been associated with religious intolerance in France.

The French comedian who invented the gesture, known as Dieudonne, has been convicted of anti-Semitic crimes seven times.

The commission which handed Anelka his punishment accepted there was no intent by the player to be anti-Semitic.

Anelka has told a french newspaper that the gesture had been 'badly interpreted' and was meant in support of his comedian friend.

The gesture shouldn't cause offence. It is condemnable in front of a synagogue, yes, just like all other bizarre signs that you could do in front of one, but that's all. In that case, to say it's a vulgar gesture, effectively, I agree with you.

There was no religious thought on my part. And I have never said that my gesture was against the system, simply that the gesture was. Again, I'm not racist, not anti-Semitic, and the quenelle was a simple tribute.

Advertisement

Former WBA and Wolves striker, Jason Roberts, retires

by James Clark

Former West Bromwich Albion and Wolverhampton Wanderers striker Jason Roberts has announced he is retiring from football due to injury.

The 36-year-old confirmed his decision on Twitter. He has not managed a single appearance this season for his current team, Reading, due to a persistent hip problem.

Former West Bromwich Albion and Wolverhampton Wanderers striker Jason Roberts Credit: Dominic Lipinski/PA Archive/Press Association Images

He wrote: "It is with great sadness that I announce my retirement from professional football on medical advice...Thank You Football for Everything...

"It has been an honour representing the Clubs I have played for..and the Fans that have always supported me."

National

FA to request Nicolas Anelka 'ban transfer'

The Football Association will seek to ensure Nicolas Anelka serves his 'quenelle' suspension wherever he goes next.

Nicolas Anelka Credit: PA

The 35-year-old former French international was given a five-match ban and fined £80,000 by the FA for the 'quenelle' gesture he made during his side's match against West Ham in December.

Read: Anelka given five-match ban and fine for quenelle gesture

The FA will write to world governing body FIFA on Monday to ask that the five-match ban it imposed for the gesture is served by Anelka at whichever club he may choose to go to next, according to the Press Association.

The FA will also request that the punishment only be considered complete once the player has paid the £80,000 fine issued alongside the ban, and once he has completed an education course.

Read: WBA give Nicolas Anelka notice of contract 'termination'

National

WBA: Nicolas Anelka's Twitter termination was 'invalid'

West Bromwich Albion have said that it "notes Nicolas Anelka is unwilling to agree to the conditions set by it which may have enabled his suspension to be lifted and for him to resume training".

These conditions were, firstly, that the Club required Nicolas Anelka to apologise to it, its supporters, sponsors and the wider community for the impact and consequences of his gesture made on December 28 and secondly, that he accept a substantial fine.

Nicolas Anelka’s purported termination of his Premier League contract this evening via Social Media was invalid as this was not conducted under the correct legal process as required by his contract.

– WBA statement
National

WBA give Anelka notice of contract 'termination'

West Bromwich Albion have written to Nicolas Anelka giving him "14 days’ notice of termination as required under his contract".

Nicolas Anelka Credit: PA Wire

A statement issued by the club said: "The Club considers the conduct of Nicolas Anelka on December 28, coupled with his purported termination on Social Media this evening, to be gross misconduct."

Read: Nicolas Anelka announces West Brom exit after ban

Advertisement

WBA: No official notice from "highly unprofessional" Nicolas Anelka

Anelka was banned for five matches for his use of the "quenelle" gesture
Anelka was banned for five matches for his use of the "quenelle" gesture Credit: PA Wire

West Bromwich Albion have released a statement saying they have not been formally told by Nicolas Anelka that he plans to quit the club with immediate effect.

Anelka announced on Twitter earlier today that he had decided to leave the club with immediate effect but West Brom say they have not been notified of this and have called his actions "highly unprofessional."

In a statement the club said:

"The Club confirms it has been continuing discussions with Nicolas Anelka and his advisers as part of its own internal enquiry into the gesture he made after scoring against West Ham United on December 28.

"Following the conclusion of the FA’s enquiry into the same incident, the Club had hoped to conclude its own investigations next week.

"The Club notes Nicolas Anelka’s comments on Twitter this evening (Friday). However, the club has received nothing formally regarding the termination of Nicolas Anelka’s contract from either him or his advisers.

"The Club regards the release of such a statement on Social Media as highly unprofessional and will make a further statement when appropriate."

Anelka was recently given a five-match ban for using the controversial 'quenelle' gesture in the 3-3 draw with West Ham in December.

Read: Anelka announces on social media he plans to quit West Brom

National

Nicolas Anelka announces he has left West Brom

Nicolas Anelka, who was recently given a five-match ban for using the controversial 'quenelle' gesture, has announced that he has left West Bromwich Albion with immediate effect.

The French striker tweeted his decision, writing in French: "Following discussions between the club and me, proposals have been made to me that I rejoined the group under certain conditions that I can not accept.

"Wishing to keep my integrity, I decided to terminate the contract binding me with West Bromwich Albion until 2014, with immediate effect," the statement concluded.

Zpybyotq_normal

Suite aux entretiens entre le club et moi, des propositions m'ont été faîtes pour que je réintègre le groupe sous certaines conditions

Zpybyotq_normal

que je ne peux pas accepter. Souhaitant garder mon intégrité, j'ai donc pris la décision de me libérer et de mettre fin au contrat

Zpybyotq_normal

me liant avec West Bromwich Albion jusqu'en 2014, et ce dès à présent.

Read: Anelka given ban and fine for 'quenelle' gesture

FA will not appeal Nicolas Anelka's five match ban

Anelka was banned for five matches for his use of the "quenelle" gesture
Anelka was banned for five matches for his use of the "quenelle" gesture Credit: PA Wire

The FA has confirmed it will not appeal West Bromwich Albion striker Nicolas Anelka's five match ban for his "quenelle" gesture.

Anelka made the sign, which some believe is anti-Semitic, during the 3-3 draw with West Ham in December.

The French striker denied his use of the sign was anti-Semitic and the commission's three-member panel agreed with him.

But the commission did rule that charges of Anelka using an abusive and/or indecent and/or insulting and/or improper gesture, and that it included a reference to ethnic origin and/or race and/or religion or belief were proven.

The Frenchman was also fined £80,000 and ordered to complete a compulsory education course.

The FA says:

"The FA pressed the Commission at the original hearing to impose a suspension of greater than five matches.

"We do not consider there is a real prospect of successfully appealing to extend the sanction imposed."

West Brom Captain out for five to six weeks

West Brom captain Chris Brunt has been ruled out for five to six weeks with a knee injury Credit: Nick Potts/PA Wire/Press Association Images

West Brom captain Chris Brunt has been ruled out for five to six weeks with a knee injury, the club have announced.

The club say the 29-year-old midfielder has medial ligament damage that will rule him out for at least a month after Saturday's 3-0 defeat to Manchester United at the Hawthorns.

Load more updates

Advertisement

Today's top stories