Vandals have been condemned after damaging ornate panel work installed as part of the restoration of a popular park.
East Park is currently undergoing a £1.5m transformation to return it to its former glory, which includes the restoration of its boathouses.
But vandals attacked the decorative railings around the two boathouses overnight on Wednesday causing damage to the ornate display.
Councillor Elias Mattu, Wolverhampton City Council's Cabinet Member for Leisure and Communities, said:
“I really do have to question the motives of people who would carry out this sort of mindless vandalism."
"People are putting a great deal of effort into the restoration of East Park, and it is disappointing that anyone would feel the need to carry out an act like this – particularly as so many people have been supportive of the work that it taking place."
The £1.5m restoration of the Victorian park began in early 2012. East Park’s refurbished clock tower and bandstand were unveiled last year, while work is continuing on repairs to the main entrances, lake bed and the terracotta balustrades on the terraces.
The council is currently assessing damage to the railings and have reported the matter to the police.
Protesters gathered outside the council building yesterday evening as a meeting to vote through the budget was taking place. Workers say the cuts are too deep but the council says it needs to make £123 million pounds of savings over the next five years.
Up to 2,000 workers at Wolverhampton City Council face losing their jobs because of budget cuts.
The council currently employs almost 6,000 people - meaning a third of its workforce is under threat. The money it gets from government has been halved from £284 million to £137 million a year.
To help raise money, council tax will go up by almost 2%.
Staff were told of the changes at a series of meetings today. They have also been told they will get less sick pay and there will be a freeze on pay rises. Drivers caught on camera using bus lanes will also be fined.
Councillor Roger Lawrence said the reduction in funding to local councils will 'damage' Wolverhampton.
The union for public sector workers GMB has spoken out about proposed cuts of up to 2,000 jobs at Wolverhampton City Council, calling it a "devastating blow" to workers.
Today's announcement of a jobs cull in Wolverhampton due to the cuts is a devastating blow to GMB members, who now face an uncertain future. Jobs and working hours are under threat.
Those who survive the jobs cull can expect a pay freeze, equating to a real terms pay cut, and an ever increasing work load. GMB officers and shop stewards will be meeting with the council to discuss these cuts in order to protect the interests of our members."
– Karen Leonard, GMB regional organiser
The council has announced up to 2,000 jobs could go because they need to save £120m over the next five years.
The Labour-controlled council said it was battling the most "challenging" financial circumstances in its history because of "massively reduced" grant funding from the Government.
Wolverhampton City Council leader, Councillor Roger Lawrence, has warned of a tough 2013 in his New Year message to residents.
2013 will pose significant challenges for Wolverhampton City Council. The on-going cuts to Government grant continue to place local authorities across the country under relentless financial pressure, worsened by the likelihood that changes to the way Government-funded benefits are administered will create a greater uptake of council services – but no new funding.
We have already delivered savings in excess of £80 million over the last five financial years and will continue to identify ways we can work more efficiently.
– Councillor Roger Lawrence, Wolverhampton City Council leader