A man who groomed a teenager via Facebook and then raped her has been sentenced to 16 years in prison.
Imtiaz Baig made contact with the 16-year-old through social media and spent months messaging her trying to arrange a meeting. He told her he was a businessman, who rented out prestige car and helicopters.
The 37-year-old tried to meet her on several occasions but she was wary of his motives and did not turn up. Finally he managed to persuade her to meet him at a hotel in Newark on August 29 2015.
He plied her with alcoholic drinks and raped her.
Baig, of Straight Drove, Farcet, near Peterborough, was convicted following a trial in January and sentenced yesterday at Wolverhampton Crown Court.
This case underlines the lengths that dangerous individuals like Baig will go to in order to entice a child to engage in sexual activity.
I would like to pay tribute to the courage of the victim. Despite the trauma of the incident and the effect of the alcohol he had persuaded her to drink, she had the presence of mind to take his clothing and other belongings to prevent him from fleeing the hotel.
Her brother, whom she had already arranged to meet to pick her up, sensibly took her to Newark Police Station where excellent work by the officer who met ensured that crucial evidence, including the telephone correspondence between Baig and the girl, was quicky obtained.
Your weekend weather update with Genelle Aldred.Read the full story ›
How will David Cameron's draft proposal for EU membership changes impact on the midlands? How are local communities preparing to receive Syrian refugees? And what did Anna Soubry MP say to upset Mr Speaker in the House of Commons? Watch and see!
Lively debate with James Morris MP, Valerie Vaz MP and Ukip spokesman Keith Rowe - Presented by Alison Mackenzie
After an unsettled week we are expecting the weather to become wet and windy as we go towards the weekendRead the full story ›
Cloud will start to increase through the evening, with the odd shower for some, before more persistent rain moves in overnight.Read the full story ›
There have been more sightings in the skies of 'the mother of pearl' cloudsRead the full story ›
The toddler from Wolverhampton died of leukaemia despite the family asking for help up to 35 times.Read the full story ›
Stoke City smashed their transfer record in an otherwise quiet transfer deadline day. Here is your guide to who went where in January.Read the full story ›
Take a look at all the pictures we have received showing the skies of The Midlands lit up with this beautiful rare weather eventRead the full story ›
Doctors have warned that attempts to force a new contract on junior doctors could seriously damage relations and cause an "exodus" of trained medical staff.
The government has hinted that it could abandon talks aimed at a agreed settlement if junior doctors do not drop calls for extra pay for all work on Saturdays.
Dr Johann Malawana of the British Medical Association told ITV News Health Correspondent Rachel Younger that ministers were trying to " play politics" over the standoff.
And Dr Usman Ahmed, a trauma and orthopedic registrar from the West Midlands warned that any attempt to force a new deal on doctors without their consent could prompt a huge outflow of trained staff.
He said: "If you want to see an exodus of doctors from the NHS who would like to have some semblance of a quality of life that they can spend with their family, their friends, and look after their own health, then by all means continue pushing at this issue as they are at the moment."