Commuters have been giving their views to ITV News Central after a consortium involving Sir Richard Branson's train company Virgin Trains was chosen to run the East Coast main line franchise from next year.
There is a lane closed on the entry slip road on M42 Northbound due to an accident at J6 A45 (Birmingham Airport / Coventry).
One lane is closed just before the end of the entry slip road.
Traffic is slow as it having to join the carriageway earlier than normal.
There is a lane closed on the exit slip road on M1 Southbound due to a broken down vehicle at J28 A38 (Alfreton / Mansfield).
There is queueing traffic and the exit slip road is partially blocked due to an accident invovling two lorries on M1 Southbound at J28 A38.
Traffic was initially unable to leave the M1 and the join the A38 north heading towards Mansfield, traffic is now able to pass.
The Department for Transport have said there will be more trains from Lincoln as part of the the new East Coast franchise to Inter City Railways, a consortium of Stagecoach and Virgin.
@nimeshitv welcome the news & pleased detail good for passengers (esp. Lincs) & taxpayers overall. Much more to do before new rolling stock.
The new deal will include a host of extra benefits for passengers:
- 23 new services from London to key destinations, with 75 more station calls a day;
- plans for new direct links to Huddersfield, Sunderland, Middlesbrough, Dewsbury and Thornaby;
- proposals for more trains to London from Bradford, Edinburgh, Harrogate, Leeds, Lincoln, Newcastle, Shipley, Stirling, and York;
- 3,100 extra seats for the morning peak time by 2020;
- across the entire train fleet there will be 12,200 additional seats – a 50% increase;
- 65 state of the art Intercity Express trains brought into passenger service from 2018, totalling 500 new carriages;
- journey times from London to Leeds reduced by 14 minutes, and from London to Edinburgh by 13 minutes; and
- a £140 million investment package to improve trains and stations.
A consortium involving Sir Richard Branson's train company Virgin Trains has been chosen to run the East Coast main line franchise from next year.
The Department for Transport (DfT) said the consortium involving Virgin and transport company Stagecoach, who already run the West Coast line, will start the East Coast franchise in March 2015.
There has been speculation that a consortium of Eurotunnel and French company Keolis which is 70% owned by French state railway SNCF, had been chosen as the new East Coast operator.
But Eurotunnel/Keolis have now missed out, as have the other shortlisted bidder, FirstGroup (correct) which has recently also lost its First Capital Connect and ScotRail franchises.
The M40 Southbound is blocked with stationary traffic as there are long delays due to a multi-vehicle accident.
There is recovery work taking place between J14 A452 (Royal Leamington Spa) and J13 A452 Banbury Road.
It is also causing congestion on M40 to J16 A3400 (Henley In Arden).
There is one lane closed and queueing traffic for two miles due to a serious multi-vehicle accident on M1 Southbound.
It is affecting traffic between J22 A50 / A511 (Ashby-de-la-zouch) and J21A A46 (Leicester) in the roadworks area.
There is one lane closed and queueing traffic due to accident on M1 Northbound.
It's affecting travel between J27 A608 (Hucknall / Underwood) and J28 A38 (Alfreton / Mansfield).
Lane one (of four) is closed.
There's one lane closed and very slow traffic due to broken down vehicle on M1 Southbound.
It's affecting traffic between J29a Markham Lane (Markham Vale / Bolsover) and J29 A617 / A6175 (Chesterfield / Mansfield) in the roadworks area.