1. Central

Girl Dies At Campsite

A girl has died and three other people have been taken to hospital with suspected carbon monoxide poisoning in Shropshire.

View all 15 updates ›

Campsite death - Government attacked over barbecue labelling

Speaking on ITV Daybreak, Stephanie Trotter, President of the Carbon Monoxide and Gas Safety Society, said:

"Any fuel that burns that is carbon based can give off carbon monoxide gas, which is absolutely deadly, even in tiny amounts.

"You might think the flames have gone down but it's still burning.

"Never, ever take anything like that into a tent or a house."

In response to a question about the absence of labelling on disposal barbecues, in particular, Stephanie says:

"I checked in my local garden centre and they all say don't use indoors but that implies it is to do with fire, not carbon monoxide poisoning.

"We've been saying since 1995 there should be TV warnings about this. When this charity started, no one would talk to us, except families of the victims.

"They told us they were ill or there child died ad they had no idea what carbon monoxide poisoning was'

"It cannot be sensed. Less than two per cent of carbon monoxide can kill you in two to three minute.

"The first breath might make you woozy, the second might make you unconscious and the third breath means you are dead.

"Why are we not being warned. Why is industry and government doing so little. We've been asking for this for 20 years."

There's more on this story here on ITV News

More on this story