- 1485: King Richard III is buried in the Greyfriars Church after defeat at Bosworth
- 1495: A tomb is placed over his grave by Henry VII
- 1538: Following the dissolution of the Monasteries, Greyfriars is closed
- 1600: Greyfriars Church is now a ruin, it is bought by the Mayor of Leicester
- 1612: Mayor Herrick builds a mansion, marking the site of the grave
- 1711: Herrick family sells and a street is laid out
- 1914: The land and gardens are sold to the council
- 1940: Greyfriars is covered in tarmac and becomes a car park
- 2012: The search begins to find the grave of King Richard III
Information provided by the University of Leicester.
Relatives of Richard III, whose body was unearthed in Leicester, have won the right to challenge plans to rebury his remains in the city.
A facial reconstruction of King Richard III is on display today in Leicester's Guildhall on the first stop of a nationwide tour.
Members of the Richard III Society and other dignitaries held a rose-laying ceremony today at Bosworth Battlefield Heritage Centre.