The Government has revealed its compensation package for those affected by HS2 will also include people living just outside of the safeguarded area.
The Government has outlined the package to include:
- To buy homes in the 'safeguarded area' paying the un-blighted value of the property plus compensation of 10% up to a value of £47,000.
- A 'voluntary purchase zone' immediately outside of the safeguarded area in rural areas, within which homeowners can sell their homes at the full un-blighted value.
- A long-term hardship scheme to help people with a need to move during the development of HS2 but who are unable to sell their home.
- A sale and rent back scheme to allow homeowners who wish to stay in properties which will be cleared to make way for HS2.
- Measures taken to ensure confidence in properties above planned tunnels is provided including surveys before and after the construction.
- A commitment to work with local authorities, housing associations and tenants affected to develop a strategy for replacing any lost social rented housing.