Main page content
Surprising facts about Halloween
- Many people suffer from Samhainophobia which is an irrational fear of Halloween.
- Trick or treating came from the ancient Celtic tradition of putting out treats and food to pacify spirits who roamed the streets at Samhain, a festival to mark the end of the Celtic calendar year.
- In China lanterns shaped like dragons and animals are hung around houses and streets to help guide spirits back home.
- People used to carve their Halloween lanterns out of turnips in Ireland to keep evil spirits away.
- The tradition of wearing masks on Halloween is stop the spirits recognising the living.
- Collecting sweets door to door actually started in England before it reached the USA
- If you see a spider on Halloween it is said to be the spirit of a loved one watching you.