Following the recent restoration of one of the last Spitfires, here's a few facts about the war fighting plane:
- The Spitfire's maiden flight was on March 5th 1936.
- It first entered RAF service in 1938.
- It finished RAF service in 1955.
- During its RAF service, 20,351 Spitfires were built.
- 'Snipe' and 'Shrew' were other potential names for the Spitfire.
- By 1939, about 10% of all Spitfires had been lost in training accidents.
- The distinctive roof bulge in the cockpit was to allow for taller pilots.
Facts courtesy of the History Learning Site.