Following the recent restoration of one of the last Spitfires, here's a few facts about the war fighting plane:
- The Spitfire's maiden flight was on March 5th 1936.
- It first entered RAF service in 1938.
- It finished RAF service in 1955.
- During its RAF service, 20,351 Spitfires were built.
- 'Snipe' and 'Shrew' were other potential names for the Spitfire.
- By 1939, about 10% of all Spitfires had been lost in training accidents.
- The distinctive roof bulge in the cockpit was to allow for taller pilots.
Facts courtesy of the History Learning Site.
More top news
Your afternoon weather update with Des Coleman.
Your afternoon weather forecast with Des Coleman.
CCTV footage taken at the scene shows the suspect pulling a balaclava over his face moments before the raid.