The food can often mount up at Christmas with a lot going to waste before it can be eaten up. Derby City Council have put together some tips to avoid food waste and help save money.
• Plan ahead and make a shopping list.
• Watch the dates and freeze anything not needed, leftover party food like quiches and sausage rolls can be frozen and used in packed lunches when everyone goes back to work.
• Use leftovers to make batches of homemade soup or puddings.
• Use leftover Christmas dinner to make bubble and squeak for Boxing Day lunch.
• Fruit and vegetable peelings can be composted or if you have one, use local food waste collection services.
More top news
Kane Gamble, 18, admitted targeting high-profile CIA and FBI figures from his family home Leicestershire.
A special edition Royal Mail postbox is in Stratford-Upon-Avon as part of birthday celebrations for the world's greatest playwright.
Dry with mostly clear skies tonight.