The food can often mount up at Christmas with a lot going to waste before it can be eaten up. Derby City Council have put together some tips to avoid food waste and help save money.
• Plan ahead and make a shopping list.
• Watch the dates and freeze anything not needed, leftover party food like quiches and sausage rolls can be frozen and used in packed lunches when everyone goes back to work.
• Use leftovers to make batches of homemade soup or puddings.
• Use leftover Christmas dinner to make bubble and squeak for Boxing Day lunch.
• Fruit and vegetable peelings can be composted or if you have one, use local food waste collection services.
More top news
A woman from Walsall who admitted stabbing her former lover after a drunken argument, has today been jailed for 13 years and 4 months.
Two thirds of people in Nottingham believe that children should be ready to start school at the age of five, according to a poll.
Rain may be heavy in places but should clear to sunny intervals and scattered showers later in the day.