The food can often mount up at Christmas with a lot going to waste before it can be eaten up. Derby City Council have put together some tips to avoid food waste and help save money.
• Plan ahead and make a shopping list.
• Watch the dates and freeze anything not needed, leftover party food like quiches and sausage rolls can be frozen and used in packed lunches when everyone goes back to work.
• Use leftovers to make batches of homemade soup or puddings.
• Use leftover Christmas dinner to make bubble and squeak for Boxing Day lunch.
• Fruit and vegetable peelings can be composted or if you have one, use local food waste collection services.
More top news
Yamaha rider Jorge Lorenzo set the pace in practice for Sunday's British Grand Prix.
Some of the world's biggest Asian music artists tell ITV News Central why the Midlands is home to the bhangra scene.
Becoming dry overnight, mainly dry Saturday.