The food can often mount up at Christmas with a lot going to waste before it can be eaten up. Derby City Council have put together some tips to avoid food waste and help save money.
• Plan ahead and make a shopping list.
• Watch the dates and freeze anything not needed, leftover party food like quiches and sausage rolls can be frozen and used in packed lunches when everyone goes back to work.
• Use leftovers to make batches of homemade soup or puddings.
• Use leftover Christmas dinner to make bubble and squeak for Boxing Day lunch.
• Fruit and vegetable peelings can be composted or if you have one, use local food waste collection services.
More top news
Dry for much of the day with possible brighter spells in the east. Outbreaks of rain will spread southwards later in the day.
Another rather cloudy and mild day. Although dry for most the odd spot of drizzle is possible, mainly over high ground.
D-Day veterans from the West Midlands were given France's highest honour today, 18 months after a pledge to award every living soldier.