The food can often mount up at Christmas with a lot going to waste before it can be eaten up. Derby City Council have put together some tips to avoid food waste and help save money.
• Plan ahead and make a shopping list.
• Watch the dates and freeze anything not needed, leftover party food like quiches and sausage rolls can be frozen and used in packed lunches when everyone goes back to work.
• Use leftovers to make batches of homemade soup or puddings.
• Use leftover Christmas dinner to make bubble and squeak for Boxing Day lunch.
• Fruit and vegetable peelings can be composted or if you have one, use local food waste collection services.
More top news
Demonstrators will gather in Lincoln this morning to protest against proposed cuts to the city's local fire service.
Passengers have been warned to expect disruption on East Midlands Trains this weekend because of work on the main line into St Pancras.
A cold and mostly dry day, with wintry showers becoming more confined to coasts. Brisk winds, especially near coasts.