The food can often mount up at Christmas with a lot going to waste before it can be eaten up. Derby City Council have put together some tips to avoid food waste and help save money.
• Plan ahead and make a shopping list.
• Watch the dates and freeze anything not needed, leftover party food like quiches and sausage rolls can be frozen and used in packed lunches when everyone goes back to work.
• Use leftovers to make batches of homemade soup or puddings.
• Use leftover Christmas dinner to make bubble and squeak for Boxing Day lunch.
• Fruit and vegetable peelings can be composted or if you have one, use local food waste collection services.
More top news
Sam Barton has been given an 18 month ban for drink driving, despite protesting he was “too famous to catch public transport.”
Residents are furious after a group of travellers illegally moved onto a Country Park and left it covered in rubbish.
A family's pet dog, which went missing seven years ago, has been found safe and well in Warwickshire.