The food can often mount up at Christmas with a lot going to waste before it can be eaten up. Derby City Council have put together some tips to avoid food waste and help save money.
• Plan ahead and make a shopping list.
• Watch the dates and freeze anything not needed, leftover party food like quiches and sausage rolls can be frozen and used in packed lunches when everyone goes back to work.
• Use leftovers to make batches of homemade soup or puddings.
• Use leftover Christmas dinner to make bubble and squeak for Boxing Day lunch.
• Fruit and vegetable peelings can be composted or if you have one, use local food waste collection services.
More top news
A mother-of-three has defied doctors who told her she only had months to live after undergoing pioneering brain surgery in the USA.
A man who killed a woman and seriously injured her sister when he smashed a hired £100,000 supercar into their Ford Fiesta has been jailed.
Fog patches and extensive low cloud at first will steadily lift and clear.