The food can often mount up at Christmas with a lot going to waste before it can be eaten up. Derby City Council have put together some tips to avoid food waste and help save money.
• Plan ahead and make a shopping list.
• Watch the dates and freeze anything not needed, leftover party food like quiches and sausage rolls can be frozen and used in packed lunches when everyone goes back to work.
• Use leftovers to make batches of homemade soup or puddings.
• Use leftover Christmas dinner to make bubble and squeak for Boxing Day lunch.
• Fruit and vegetable peelings can be composted or if you have one, use local food waste collection services.
More top news
Harry Street, formerly Barry Williams, shot dead five people in a spree across the West Midlands in 1978.
The law was rolled out nationally in March. The Police and Crime Commissioner for Nottinghamshire has praised it's results in his area.
A frosty start, followed by a cold and mainly sunny day.