Six hospital trusts in the Midlands are to be investigated over their mortality rates:
- United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust
- George Eliot Hospital NHS Trust
- Northern Lincolnshire and Goole Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- The Dudley Group NHS Foundation Trust
- Sherwood Forest Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
- Burton Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
In total, nine trusts are being investigated by Medical director Sir Bruce Keogh. The NHS Commissioning Board said all of the trusts involved have been "outliers" on the Hospital Standardised Mortality Ratio for two years running.
– Sir Bruce Keogh
These hospitals are already working closely with a range of regulators. If there were concerns that services were unsafe the regulators should have intervened.
The purpose of my investigation is to assure patients, public and Parliament that these hospitals understand why they have a high mortality and have all the support they need to improve.
This will be a thorough and rigorous process, involving patients, clinicians, regulators and local organisations.