- Self-harm is not a mental illness, nor is it an attempt to commit suicide.
- It doesn't just affect girls. Boys self-harm too, but they are much less likely to tell anyone about it.
- Young people from all walks of life self-harm, regardless of their social or ethnic background.
- Self-harm is not a fashion fad, nor is it 'attention seeking behaviour'.
- It is not easy for a young person to stop self-harming behaviour.
According to charity YouthNet.
More top news
A hospital for children with mental health problems in Stafford has been slammed by health officials.
The move comes despite the force receiving £2.5 million less from the government again this year.
A British backpacker who died after he was stabbed trying to save a fellow traveller from Derbyshire has been nominated for a bravery award.