- Self-harm is not a mental illness, nor is it an attempt to commit suicide.
- It doesn't just affect girls. Boys self-harm too, but they are much less likely to tell anyone about it.
- Young people from all walks of life self-harm, regardless of their social or ethnic background.
- Self-harm is not a fashion fad, nor is it 'attention seeking behaviour'.
- It is not easy for a young person to stop self-harming behaviour.
According to charity YouthNet.
More top news
Cold and windy with further scattered sleet and snow showers overnight, most of these falling in the north and west.
A cold and blustery night with rain, sleet and snow showers. These will be most frequent in the northwest with snow accumulations possible.
Schools "should be promoting British values" to tackle extremism, the Education Secretary Nicky Morgan has said.