A Care Quality Commission report out today raises concerns over the pathology department at King's Mill hospital in Nottinghamshire.
The inspection followed the recall of 79 breast cancer patients over concerns surrounding test results.
- Poor communication between pathologists and hospital directors.
- The pathology department was without a leader for five years between 2003 and 2007, with the role being covered by locum staff, and a number of permanent posts were not filled.
- Equipment in the department was outdated.
- The hospital’s action plan in relation to mortality rates was not being clearly monitored by the trust board.
- Processes to detect changes in performance or risk were not robust enough.
More top news
It will be a breezy, but still a rather cloudy day across the region with intermittent drizzle possible.
Remaining cloudy but with a freshening southeasterly breeze helping to clear much of the mist and hill fog.
Another cloudy and murky night with extensive low cloud giving hill fog and some patchy light rain or drizzle.