A Care Quality Commission report out today raises concerns over the pathology department at King's Mill hospital in Nottinghamshire.
The inspection followed the recall of 79 breast cancer patients over concerns surrounding test results.
- Poor communication between pathologists and hospital directors.
- The pathology department was without a leader for five years between 2003 and 2007, with the role being covered by locum staff, and a number of permanent posts were not filled.
- Equipment in the department was outdated.
- The hospital’s action plan in relation to mortality rates was not being clearly monitored by the trust board.
- Processes to detect changes in performance or risk were not robust enough.
More top news
A former professional wrestler from Leicester who was at the centre of a "predatory" paedophile ring has been found guilty of sexual abuse.
Any thundery rain or showers will quickly die away during the evening. Tomorrow, dry with long spells of sunshine and light winds.
Becoming dry with some late evening sunshine, then largely clear overnight. Tomorrow, a fresh start, though with plenty of sunshine.