A Care Quality Commission report out today raises concerns over the pathology department at King's Mill hospital in Nottinghamshire.
The inspection followed the recall of 79 breast cancer patients over concerns surrounding test results.
- Poor communication between pathologists and hospital directors.
- The pathology department was without a leader for five years between 2003 and 2007, with the role being covered by locum staff, and a number of permanent posts were not filled.
- Equipment in the department was outdated.
- The hospital’s action plan in relation to mortality rates was not being clearly monitored by the trust board.
- Processes to detect changes in performance or risk were not robust enough.
More top news
East Midlands weather: A cloudy and breezy day, with further outbreaks of rain, heavy at times.
West Midlands weather: Bank Holiday Monday is looking largely cloudy and damp, with outbreaks of rain on and off.
Friends and family of a little girl with cancer have been holding a fun day to raise funds to help her.