A Care Quality Commission report out today raises concerns over the pathology department at King's Mill hospital in Nottinghamshire.
The inspection followed the recall of 79 breast cancer patients over concerns surrounding test results.
- Poor communication between pathologists and hospital directors.
- The pathology department was without a leader for five years between 2003 and 2007, with the role being covered by locum staff, and a number of permanent posts were not filled.
- Equipment in the department was outdated.
- The hospital’s action plan in relation to mortality rates was not being clearly monitored by the trust board.
- Processes to detect changes in performance or risk were not robust enough.
More top news
Dry with bright or sunny periods, allowing temperatures to rise a little higher, making it feel warm in the light winds.
There will be plenty of sunshine across the region today and it will be generally warmer, with a light south-westerly breeze.
A worker has been airlifted to hospital with a serious leg injury after an accident at a factory near Kidderminster.