The Abell family find out tomorrow if they have been crowned Britain's most money savvy family in a national competition.
Here Julie Abell shares some of her family money saving tips:
- Don't throw things away before thinking about how you might use them again. An example of this is using bananas for banana bread when they have turned black.
- Use water butts to collect water to use during the summer for washing the car or watering your fruit and vegetables. A dustbin will suffice.
- Shop around. Order your 'big shop' online then buy your fruit and vegetables from local markets towards the end of the day when the food is being sold cheaper.
- Think long term. The Abell family bought a trailer for £100 to avoid paying for delivery of building materials, and avoid paying for collections of garden waste.
- Treat your family as a joint consumer. Some companies offer discounts for multiple mobile phone contracts or insurance policies.
More top news
Cold with some icy stretches to start. There will be sunny intervals and further blustery, wintry showers.
Early wintry showers will clear to give a mostly dry day with some sunny spells.
Scattered wintry showers will continue overnight. Clear spells will allow a frost to develop by morning.