The Abell family find out tomorrow if they have been crowned Britain's most money savvy family in a national competition.
Here Julie Abell shares some of her family money saving tips:
- Don't throw things away before thinking about how you might use them again. An example of this is using bananas for banana bread when they have turned black.
- Use water butts to collect water to use during the summer for washing the car or watering your fruit and vegetables. A dustbin will suffice.
- Shop around. Order your 'big shop' online then buy your fruit and vegetables from local markets towards the end of the day when the food is being sold cheaper.
- Think long term. The Abell family bought a trailer for £100 to avoid paying for delivery of building materials, and avoid paying for collections of garden waste.
- Treat your family as a joint consumer. Some companies offer discounts for multiple mobile phone contracts or insurance policies.
More top news
A man convicted of preparing to commit acts of terror has today pleaded guilty to possessing a hand-written bomb making recipe in prison.
A man who punctured his dog’s heart after stabbing him twice in the chest, then dumping the body in a wheelie bin, has been jailed.
Divers have spent two days searching the lake at Delapre Abbey and the articles found will now undergo forensic assessment.