- Seventy-five per cent of falls are not reported
- Around one-third of people over 65 will fall in a year, rising to approximately half of all those aged 80 and over.
- Falls destroy confidence, increase isolation and reduce independence, 9% of older people who fall become too afraid to leave home.
- Falls represent over half of hospital admissions for accidental injury.
- In England each year, over 223,000 people over 60 suffer a fracture from a fall. This is more than the entire population of Northampton.
- Fractures in patients over 60 account for more than 1.5 million UK hospital bed stays
- A tailored exercise programme can reduce an individual’s risk of falling by up to 50 per cent.
- It has been estimated that as much as 30% of visual impairment in people over 75 is the result of wearing the wrong glasses or no glasses at all, which can affect a person’s balance and co-ordination.
More top news
Sunny skies from the start tomorrow, but a little cool for this time of year.
A cool night leading into a chilly start tomorrow, but it will be fairly bright.
Andrew Dodsworth is hoping that by "banking" his voice he will be able to keep some of his identity, if the condition causes his voice to go