- Seventy-five per cent of falls are not reported
- Around one-third of people over 65 will fall in a year, rising to approximately half of all those aged 80 and over.
- Falls destroy confidence, increase isolation and reduce independence, 9% of older people who fall become too afraid to leave home.
- Falls represent over half of hospital admissions for accidental injury.
- In England each year, over 223,000 people over 60 suffer a fracture from a fall. This is more than the entire population of Northampton.
- Fractures in patients over 60 account for more than 1.5 million UK hospital bed stays
- A tailored exercise programme can reduce an individual’s risk of falling by up to 50 per cent.
- It has been estimated that as much as 30% of visual impairment in people over 75 is the result of wearing the wrong glasses or no glasses at all, which can affect a person’s balance and co-ordination.
More top news
Cold and frosty initially. Dry and fine conditions through the day.
Some fog patches slow to clear on Monday. Otherwise a generally bright day.
Rescue teams arrived at the scene to find the two men standing on top of their car roof.