BREAKING: Chinese lantern caused Smethwick fire

Emergency teams on site say that the massive fire in Smethwick was caused by a Chinese lantern floating over the factory and setting bales of plastic alight. CCTV revealed this was the cause.

Advertisement

Smethwick fire explained

Firefighters are advising recycling plants on how to store rubbish to prevent fires. It comes just two weeks after the biggest fire the West Midlands has ever seen. A Chinese lantern landed on thousands of tonnes of rubbish at a centre in Smethwick.