As part of his opening statement Prosecutor Nicholas Johnson QC tells the jury at Nottingham Crown Court that Kevin Wright 'abused the the position of trust people placed in him.'
The court heard that in total, Kevin Wright received around £2m in donations for various cancer care appeals including one for his own child Bobby Wright.
It's alleged Mr Wright used large amounts of this money for his own benefit. The jury were told these sums included:-
- £65k invested in Premium Bonds & ISAs
- £38k ploughed into a restaurant owned by Kevin Wright
- £30k+ used to renovate a pub run by Mr Wright's then girlfriend
- £20k given to a friend for his used-car business
- £4k on cigarette's & alcohol
- £33k on vehicle-related expenditure
Mr Wright denies eight charged of fraud & 11 counts of theft.