The Department for Transport and local authorities are investing in cycle route improvement in Birmingham as well as the Peak District.
The measures that are being taken to benefit cyclists includes:
- Making it easier to implement 20mph speed limits, and introducing more of them.
- Making it easier to implement 40mph speed limits in rural areas, and introducing more of them.
- Introducing 'Trixi' mirrors at junctions so cyclists can be seen more clearly.
- Using contraflow to let cyclists use one-way streets and avoid the busiest roads.
- Placing mini-signals at cyclists' eye height, to give targeted information and possible 'head starts' at junctions.
- Making it easier and cheaper for councils to introduce mandatory cycle lanes.
More top news
Ever wanted to smash everyday items that wind you up to smithereens? Well now you can at a new Rage Room.
Cold with a mix of sunshine and showers today.
Less showers than Tuesday with some parts staying dry.