The Department for Transport and local authorities are investing in cycle route improvement in Birmingham as well as the Peak District.
The measures that are being taken to benefit cyclists includes:
- Making it easier to implement 20mph speed limits, and introducing more of them.
- Making it easier to implement 40mph speed limits in rural areas, and introducing more of them.
- Introducing 'Trixi' mirrors at junctions so cyclists can be seen more clearly.
- Using contraflow to let cyclists use one-way streets and avoid the busiest roads.
- Placing mini-signals at cyclists' eye height, to give targeted information and possible 'head starts' at junctions.
- Making it easier and cheaper for councils to introduce mandatory cycle lanes.
More top news
A man has been charged with causing death by dangerous driving after a 22-year-old was killed in Rugeley last year.
Kick off between Aston Villa and Arsenal is 17:30 at Wembley Stadium.
A fine day across the Midlands, but some rain in the West Midlands later.