- More than three million people are expected to visit the new attraction today
- An estimated 10,000 people will visit the new Library each day after that
- The project cost £188.8 million - below the original estimate of £193 million
- The building is 35,000m2 in size and rises 59.5m above Centenary Square
- 4,000m2 of that is a new 'backstage' area for the Birmingham REP
- 30,000m3 of material was dug out of the basement in preparation for building work to start - enough to fill 60,000 bath tubs
More top news
A mother who told her son she was going to the supermarket - before flying to Australia - has been given a six-month suspended sentence.
As temperatures fall this weekend the amount of sunshine we will see is on the rise. After a mild November, December is off to a cool start.
Breaks in the cloud overnight will allow mist and fog patches to develop. Sunny spells developing tomorrow.