- More than three million people are expected to visit the new attraction today
- An estimated 10,000 people will visit the new Library each day after that
- The project cost £188.8 million - below the original estimate of £193 million
- The building is 35,000m2 in size and rises 59.5m above Centenary Square
- 4,000m2 of that is a new 'backstage' area for the Birmingham REP
- 30,000m3 of material was dug out of the basement in preparation for building work to start - enough to fill 60,000 bath tubs
More top news
A man who launched a series of machete attacks after suspecting his estranged wife of having an affair has been jailed for 28 years.
The judge has analysed the dispute at a two-day High Court hearing in London and is due to deliver a ruling at 11am on Wednesday.
Services at the Royal Shrewsbury Hospital’s Midwife Led Unit are expected to stay closed until 12pm on Wednesday 20 September.