- More than three million people are expected to visit the new attraction today
- An estimated 10,000 people will visit the new Library each day after that
- The project cost £188.8 million - below the original estimate of £193 million
- The building is 35,000m2 in size and rises 59.5m above Centenary Square
- 4,000m2 of that is a new 'backstage' area for the Birmingham REP
- 30,000m3 of material was dug out of the basement in preparation for building work to start - enough to fill 60,000 bath tubs
More top news
Fire crews stepped in to free a duckling trapped in a roadside drain - and then ensured its safe return to a nearby waterway.
The first man to be convicted of murder on the basis of DNA evidence should be moved to an open prison, according to the Parole Board.
Last night the Town Hall and City Hall were lit-up and people have been tweeting their support ahead of Leicester versus Manchester United.