- More than three million people are expected to visit the new attraction today
- An estimated 10,000 people will visit the new Library each day after that
- The project cost £188.8 million - below the original estimate of £193 million
- The building is 35,000m2 in size and rises 59.5m above Centenary Square
- 4,000m2 of that is a new 'backstage' area for the Birmingham REP
- 30,000m3 of material was dug out of the basement in preparation for building work to start - enough to fill 60,000 bath tubs
More top news
A man whose partner killed himself after coming out to his mother, is completing a 130 mile charity walk from London to Birmingham today.
Amanda Houston has the latest weather forecast for the East and West Midlands.
It will be a cloudy evening with patchy rain at first, with most places becoming dry overnight. Turning wetter tomorrow.