- More than three million people are expected to visit the new attraction today
- An estimated 10,000 people will visit the new Library each day after that
- The project cost £188.8 million - below the original estimate of £193 million
- The building is 35,000m2 in size and rises 59.5m above Centenary Square
- 4,000m2 of that is a new 'backstage' area for the Birmingham REP
- 30,000m3 of material was dug out of the basement in preparation for building work to start - enough to fill 60,000 bath tubs
More top news
Three people suspected of breaking in to a school in Birmingham have been arrested thanks to the help of a police dog.
A British-Iraqi man is the head of a people-smuggling network suspected of bringing hundreds of migrants to Britain, a court has heard.
Claims against the late politician were originally expected to be aired during inquiry proceedings starting in September.