- More than three million people are expected to visit the new attraction today
- An estimated 10,000 people will visit the new Library each day after that
- The project cost £188.8 million - below the original estimate of £193 million
- The building is 35,000m2 in size and rises 59.5m above Centenary Square
- 4,000m2 of that is a new 'backstage' area for the Birmingham REP
- 30,000m3 of material was dug out of the basement in preparation for building work to start - enough to fill 60,000 bath tubs
More top news
Police have released footage of the moment a 12 year-old girl was knocked down by a hit-and-run driver on a zebra crossing in Birmingham.
East Midlands Airport is preparing for its busiest day as part of the Christmas getaway.
Genelle Aldred brings you the latest weekend weather for the East & West Midlands.