- More than three million people are expected to visit the new attraction today
- An estimated 10,000 people will visit the new Library each day after that
- The project cost £188.8 million - below the original estimate of £193 million
- The building is 35,000m2 in size and rises 59.5m above Centenary Square
- 4,000m2 of that is a new 'backstage' area for the Birmingham REP
- 30,000m3 of material was dug out of the basement in preparation for building work to start - enough to fill 60,000 bath tubs
More top news
Tomorrow all eyes will be on Sleaford and North Hykeham, as voters go to the polls to replace Stephen Phillips.
The Foxes are looking to round off the group stages with another good result at Portuguese side Porto, having already guaranteed top spot.
It's an unprecedented move by the council, who will use reserves to balance an estimated £38million black hole in its 2016/17 budget.