The overhead power lines at Stafford railway station had to be switched off while emergency services rescued a man who suffered "extensive burns" from overhead cables.
An investigation has now been launched by the Rail Accident Investigation Branch (RAIB) as it appears the man somehow came into contact with electricity from the lines.
The power was back on by 10am but trains were delayed while the rescue operation took place.
National Rail spokesman Ben Herbert said the man was not on the station at the time, and said it was not yet clear whether he had been a National Rail worker or a contractor.
The man, in his 20s, was taken to the major trauma centre at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital.
More top news
The boyfriend of reality TV star Ferne McCann has been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder following an alleged nightclub acid attack.
Wildlife activist Roger Gower from Birmingham was flying a helicopter over a game reserve in 2016, when he was shot by a poacher.
Seven officer and staff will have competed in 36 marathons between them when they cross the finish line of the London Marathon.