Ahead of the launch of their new campaign to highlight the dangers animals and those trying to protect them face, the RSPCA have released some examples of the cases and violence faced by RSPCA inspectors over the past two years.
Cases of animals suffering brutal attacks included:
- A dog beaten with a pole, causing 30 fractures
- A swan shot with a crossbow
- A cat beaten against a tree
- A three-week-old lamb with its ears cut off
- A lurcher stamped on, run over and stabbed with a potato peeler
- A bird shot with a blowgun dart through his eye
- A mouse tortured with a power tool
Staff investigating violence on animals were threatened with:
- A claw hammer
- A knife
- A crossbow
- A shotgun
- A machete
- Death threats
- Read more: RSPCA's anti-cruelty heroes
More top news
Sion Simon is on a mission, Alison Mackenzie caught up with the West Midlands MEP - Labour's candidate for the mayoral elections in May 2017
Dry overnight, but turning cloudier by dawn. Staying dry Wednesday.
Dry tonight, then turning cloudier and breezier tomorrow.