Ahead of the launch of their new campaign to highlight the dangers animals and those trying to protect them face, the RSPCA have released some examples of the cases and violence faced by RSPCA inspectors over the past two years.
Cases of animals suffering brutal attacks included:
- A dog beaten with a pole, causing 30 fractures
- A swan shot with a crossbow
- A cat beaten against a tree
- A three-week-old lamb with its ears cut off
- A lurcher stamped on, run over and stabbed with a potato peeler
- A bird shot with a blowgun dart through his eye
- A mouse tortured with a power tool
Staff investigating violence on animals were threatened with:
- A claw hammer
- A knife
- A crossbow
- A shotgun
- A machete
- Death threats
- Read more: RSPCA's anti-cruelty heroes
More top news
Poundland can no longer claim every item it sells costs £1 after a watchdog upheld complaints that it sold items for more.
Officers were called to the village of Hurley, Warwickshire, after the "angry" bird tried to bite a retired policeman's dog on Tuesday.
After a chilly few days temperatures are climbing and just in time for the weekend too. Get the details here...