Ahead of the launch of their new campaign to highlight the dangers animals and those trying to protect them face, the RSPCA have released some examples of the cases and violence faced by RSPCA inspectors over the past two years.
Cases of animals suffering brutal attacks included:
- A dog beaten with a pole, causing 30 fractures
- A swan shot with a crossbow
- A cat beaten against a tree
- A three-week-old lamb with its ears cut off
- A lurcher stamped on, run over and stabbed with a potato peeler
- A bird shot with a blowgun dart through his eye
- A mouse tortured with a power tool
Staff investigating violence on animals were threatened with:
- A claw hammer
- A knife
- A crossbow
- A shotgun
- A machete
- Death threats
- Read more: RSPCA's anti-cruelty heroes
More top news
A rapist who attacked an elderly widow in her own home has been jailed for life, and must serve at least nine years behind bars.
The High Speed 2 rail project should be scrapped as it is likely to be delayed and over budget, according to a think-tank.
The outspoken Birmingham MP tweeted a picture of locksmiths ramping up security at her home after facing fresh intimidation on social media.